Confused on core voltage, please help!

known12345

Limp Gawd
I overclocked my q6600 to 3.0mhz today and ran prime95 for 2 hours with no errors and so wondering if I could further increase the FSB without increasing the core voltage however I am confused on how to "determine" what my core voltage is?

System:
q6600
Arctic cooling Freezer 7 Pro

BIOS menu CPU voltage control: 1.2785v

Ideal / no stress test:
-CPU-Z: 1.248v
-ABIT EQ (the program that came with my ABIT IP35-E): 1.25V @ cpu temp 43C @ Fan RPM 1140-1170
-Core Temp 0.96 (VID): 1.2875v @ 39C, 39C, 36C, 39C

Prime95 stress test:
-CPU-Z: 1.200v
-ABIT EQ: 1.20v @ cpu temp 59C @ Fan RPM 2410-2480
-Core Temp 0.96: 1.2875v @ 57C, 55C, 52C, 56C

Ok well so what is my "core voltage"? I know this is a noobie question, but I can't seem to find what the answer is? Ive read in some threads that people have said CPU-Z is not a good indicator of core voltage (with the program that came with the motherboard a better indicator) and that you must add some more v to the number that is given. But are they talking about CPU-Z during idle conditions or with a stress test on? When I ran prime95, my core voltage dropped (I THINK) in CPU-Z and ABIT EQ which I have no idea why?

To sum it up: how do I determine my core voltage?

The voltage that CPUz lists should be right. And when you put the processor under stress you'll see that voltage drop. It's known as Vdroop. It's built into the board to keep the Vregs safe.

I see, thank you very much Sta!nless.

However now I am again confused (I am sorry), if CPU-Z lists a fairly accurate reading of my core voltage, then what does the number (1.2785v) represent in the CPU voltage control? Is that the core voltage temperature with no fans running at all and no vdroop? Also if I want to proceed to 3.2 or 3.4, should I increase my voltage?

Edit1: Also, usually when I see people report their core speed, they also report their core voltage, was wondering, which core voltage do they report? The core voltage in their BIOS menu or the core voltage that is reported in CPU-Z?

I report the BIOS vcore. Do you need to increase vcore as you increase your oc? Usually, yes you do. Read my overclocking guide and pay attention to the minimizing vcore setion for more on this.

Gotcha, thank you very much graysky. Actually it was your godly overclocking guide that I used to overclock my first cpu. However i was greatly confused when you wrote this line "my system runs stable @ 9x333 using 1.2625v" because well the lowest BIOS vcore that I can run my system at is 1.2875v, nothing lower. So I thought you must have reported your vcores from CPU-Z because I was under the impression that you could not go lower then 1.2875v (I do not have the option to go lower, only up).

I understand now... some BIOS's (the one you have for example) will dynamically set the low limit for vcore to the VID that Intel hardcodes to the chip. I don't agree with this. My VID for example is 1.2875V yet my Q6600 can run 9x266 stable @ 1.000 V. As I indicated in my guide, it runs 9x333 stable @ 1.2625V (set in the BIOS). If my board too limited the min vcore to my hard-coded VID, I would be stuck @ 1.2875V as you seem to be...

What MB do you have and are you running the latest BIOS revision? You might wanna check in the manufacturer's website for a discussion forum for you board and ask the question about running vcore that's lower than the chip's VID.

I have an ABIT IP35-E and I have no idea if im running the latest BIOS revision =(. However I am doing what you suggested and checking the manufacturer's website and forum to see how to resolve my problems. Thanks again for your help.

Edit: Well after taking a look at the manufacturer's website, I found out that I am not running the latest BIOS and that I have to upgrade it. Unfortunately in the instructions on how to upgrade my BIOS, a floppy disk is required and I do not have a floppy disk drive. =( However, in this great guide (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1260590), Blue Falcon was able to flash a new BIOS (controlling fan speed) onto his motherboard using a USB thumbdrive. Can I do the same (upgrade the entire BIOS of my motherboard)? I suspect so but i rather know for sure if it does. If so, would I go about upgrading my BIOS the same way Blue Falcon flashed his BIOS with new fan instructions?

Also is there any significant drawback from running an old BIOS?

Luckily for me my BIOS and CPUz report the same voltage. In my sig I'm reporting what cpuz says with the vdroop intact. So with my proc loaded, cpuz is reporting 1.44vcore. The true way to test Vcore is probably with two check points on the board with a multimeter. That's another story that I can't help you with.

Also is there any significant drawback from running an old BIOS?

Dunno what to tell you about the floppy thing... I don't see why your UBS boot disk or a bootable CDROM wouldn't work so long as you can get to a DOS prompt. For that matter, run the exe from your c:\ if you can boot to DOS.

You might wanna read through the changes to the BIOS revisions since your version to be sure that this particular fix is indeed present; no point in upgrading if the update doesn't address your specific issue.

Back