Confused about the ASUS MG279Q

FMX

Gawd
First off...why are the making an IPS panel with FreeSync before updating the Swift with an IPS panel, or at least offering an IPS panel with G-Sync? I'm confused why they want to be so fragmented and not offer every possible option.

I'm not sure if there would be any drawbacks to an IPS Swift except for the glow problems like on the newer Acer.

It's also my understanding that at this time Nvidia cards don't support FreeSync? This further adds to my confusion.

Good questions...but I'm sure most of us here are just as lost as you are. Maybe JJ over at Asus PCDIY can give you some answers.

nVidia does not support Adaptive Sync because they made GSync and make money from it. Profit >> All

My guess as to why Asus is making a FreeSync IPS monitor first is because the GSync gaming market is saturated with Swift monitors. Also, the FreeSync market has no monitor with these specs so Asus will have no competition. I know I'll be buying this monitor as soon as it's out.

Note: FreeSync is AMD's way of supporting Adaptive Sync (the optional part of the DP 1.2a standard). If nVidia adds support (which they said they will not) they'll need to come up with their own implementation.... maybe GASync?

This panel probably would have ended up in the Swift if it had surfaced 2 years ago.

A G-Sync version of this and the Swift would be obsolete, in less than a year. For a monitor costing nearly 700 quid this would have been a right kick in the testicles for us Swift owners. Not that its any of Asus's concern however.

Anyway like you a G-Sync version of this is something I'd like to see. G-Sync is great.

Doesn't make sense to say you've got a better product coming when the market is filled with your current product. :)

I'm confused why they want to be so fragmented and not offer every possible option.
If they made Swift IPS, it still wouldn't be any more "complete" - there would still be two out of four options (GSync/FSync, TN/IPS). I would say that supporting FreeSync and making it IPS is the better option, since you have one display supporting any single requirement from those.

Doesn't make sense to say you've got a better product coming when the market is filled with your current product. :)

Welcome to the world of Apple ;)

Pawulon said:
If they made Swift IPS, it still wouldn't be any more "complete" - there would still be two out of four options (GSync/FSync, TN/IPS). I would say that supporting FreeSync and making it IPS is the better option, since you have one display supporting any single requirement from those.

I still don't quite follow. With the Acer G-Sync/IPS getting mainly rave reviews, and more people own Nvidia cards in general, I still don't understand why they wouldn't update the Swift to an IPS panel before releasing a FreeSync IPS.

Welcome to the world of Apple ;)

I still don't quite follow. With the Acer G-Sync/IPS getting mainly rave reviews, and more people own Nvidia cards in general, I still don't understand why they wouldn't update the Swift to an IPS panel before releasing a FreeSync IPS.

Gsync cost money to license and Asus doesn't have a 1440p 144hz monitor with freesync. Also there are other monitors that are 1440p with gsync unlike the freesync. I plan on getting the mg when it releases because it meets the requirements that I am looking for.

I just preordered this puppy and should get it end of next week. Will report back with findings.

Hugely excited to have a 120hz (144hz?) Freesync true IPS monitor. Was looking at both the BenQ and Acer Freesync options, but just couldn't convince myself to go back to a TN panel after the goodness of my UP2414Q.

let us know if it suffers like the benq with the overdrive, if yes then it will be put to rest that all freesync monitors wont be able to use OD at the same time, rendering it useless.

You can argue that after 90FPS there is no point in Gsync/Freesync. I bet in side-by-side tests no one can tell the difference.

I just did a quick check on a few games at 1440p and the 35-90 FPS covers 95%+ of the use cases for me. Actually, I dip below 40 FPS into more frequently than >90 FPS.

Sounding like it does 35-90hz with Freesync + Overdrive; 35-144hz with Freesync without Overdrive.

Back