Confused about Samsung model numbers

mis3

Gawd
Just look at the 22-inch, so far I see:

225MS, 225UW, 225BW, 226BW, 226CW, 2280HD, 2220WM.....

I know some of them have build-in speakers. But why so many models? Is there a chart somewhere to track the differences in these monitors?

Don't forget the Samsung 220WM that Best Buy was selling on Black Friday. :p

i have a 225bw. thought part of it was marketing...perhaps the samsung site has a comparison chart (i'm too lazy to look right now)

Samsung's website sucks when trying to decide between monitors. Even the most important features like (TN, S-IPS, MVA) are left out.

Last month, I spent 2 hours trying to tell the difference between Samsung's LCD TV's. It was a complete nightmare deciding what 36, 42, or 47 inch HDTV to buy.

It seem like many company websites make it very difficult to distinguish between models. Have you ever looked at Garmin.com, Intel, AMD, Dell, etc..,,,, They all suck in that department.

Why do you think there is so much discussion in chat rooms like this. It's because the company's own websites leave out so much details.

It is funny how company websites are usually the last place I go for product information.

To answer your question: Unfortunately, just google each one seperately with the word review and you will eventually have your answer. If you start now, you may have an answer by Christmas.

^ again, i think that is intentional...marketing...so that the consumer can't make store-to-store $ comparisons. i've seen this with flat screen tv's. similar model features but different model numbers.

Just look at the 22-inch, so far I see:

225MS, 225UW, 225BW, 226BW, 226CW, 2280HD, 2220WM.....

I know some of them have build-in speakers. But why so many models? Is there a chart somewhere to track the differences in these monitors?

They denote different feature sets, mainly. I forget which is which, but one has a webcam, some have HDTV capabilities, some shave off features from the standard 226BW/CW to cut costs. The 226BW is the mainstay computer monitor, being replaced by the so-called wide gamut CW version.

Most probably use the same TFT panels, but switch different controller boards & inputs, different filters & optical films, different packaging, different stands/adjustability, different backlights (CW) etc etc. The most important differences performance-wise are what exact model of TFT (could be different mfr) and how well they are calibrated.

So, which one will be the best for general computer use (surfing, office applications, video, etc)?

Webcam is not important to me. Since 226CW replaced the 226BW, should I assume that 226CW is better than the 226BW?

So, which one will be the best for general computer use (surfing, office applications, video, etc)?

Webcam is not important to me. Since 226CW replaced the 226BW, should I assume that 226CW is better than the 226BW?

The CW implies that it has "Wide Color Gamut (CCFL 97%)". Also, iirc, all the 226CWs are "S":Samsung (or equivalent panels) while the 226BWs had S, C, and A panels, S being better than the others particularly regarding straight out of the box color calibration.

you also forgot the 2232BW and GW. new version of the 226bw, same panel (people think) with a different look. if you want to compare models it's good to look on a site like newegg although they sometimes don't have the specs right anyway.

It is hard to determine which Samsung 22-inch to buy, so many versions and variations.

I wouldn't assume that. You should find this article very useful.

But really, it doesn't sound like you have any serious requirements aside that it be a samsung and 22 inches. Day-to-day pc use won't do much to reveal limitations in a monitor. If you're doing photoshop work, watching movies, heavy gaming, then this would be much moreso a life-and-death decision.

I was not clear, when I said video, I meant movies.

I am currently using a Dell UltraSharp 1907FP and this is an excellent monitor. I am not stuck with Samsung, any good 22-inch monitor will do. I think the Dell is a IPS panel and I read that all 22-inch monitors use TN panel which has inferior picture quality as IPS.

Another concern for me is pixel size. My eyes are not comfortable to read small pixel sizes. According to Dell monitors and based on respective native resolution:

1. 19-inch 0.294 mm
2. 20-inch 0.258 mm
3. 22-inch 0.282 mm
4. 24-inch 0.270 mm
5. 27-inch 0.303 mm

The pixel size of 24-inch will be too small for me. This is why I am looking for a 22-inch.

I was not clear, when I said video, I meant movies.

I am currently using a Dell UltraSharp 1907FP and this is an excellent monitor. I am not stuck with Samsung, any good 22-inch monitor will do. I think the Dell is a IPS panel and I read that all 22-inch monitors use TN panel which has inferior picture quality as IPS.

Another concern for me is pixel size. My eyes are not comfortable to read small pixel sizes. According to Dell monitors and based on respective native resolution:

The pixel size of 24-inch will be too small for me. This is why I am looking for a 22-inch.

Well...... a well-calibrated, good TN will come pretty close, provided you're sitting in the optimum *computing* position (directly in front of it, and your eyes are level with top 1/3 of screen). A TN is much faster, so you should have less blurring effect in fast-motion scenes. The depth and evenness in dark scenes may be unacceptable on a TN, although the samsung's dynamic backlight adjustment (2000:1 and higher) does a decent job of hiding it.

You can adjust the windows DPI setting -- I had to do this for my laptop which also has 1680x1050 (like 22") but only at 15.4", and it works very well (usually software will pick up the setting, but sometimes not).

The DPI setting works only in Windows and does not work in some applications. I don't think it works all the time in Internet Explorer.

Furthermore, I can adjust the text size (under the tab View) in Internet Explorer. Again, this works in some sites but not all.

To be sure, I should stick to monitors with bigger pixel sizes.

Back