Confused about PPD

AbsintheCommando

Limp Gawd
I see folks talking about how they get 4K PPD from their Q6600. I am running the standard console client x4 on my q6600 and FAHMon reports only 600-800 PPD, depending on what I am folding at the time. What am I misunderstanding here?

fake edit: I am not running the SMP client because for the life of me, I can't get it to run under Vista 64. I keep getting an error 63, failure to start core or something like that. Is the SMP client what gets the big PPD?

The SMP client gets HUGE PPD, not so for the console. If you can't get it to run under Vista (as I couldn't), you could always download VMWare Server for free, installl Ubuntu64 with two processors assigned and run the SMP-Linux client instead. Then just do the same thing again, since VMWare will only let you dedicate two cores to each virtual machine.

By pure fluke, I found this howto and was able to install the SMP client.Running the fah.exe file reports no errors and it says it's working, but by CPU usage is not reflecting any folding. Should it be launching some processes like the old console client does?

Should have 4 instances of Fahcore_a1.exe running if it is working (I am not sure in Vista what it would look like as I ran Vista for about 2 hours) and should show 100% CPU usage

Should have 4 instances of Fahcore_a1.exe running if it is working (I am not sure in Vista what it would look like as I ran Vista for about 2 hours) and should show 100% CPU usage

^^ should look like that in Vista as well...task manager pretty much is the same

Well, I certainly don't have anything like that showing up. Looks like others have a similar problem, too, with no actual fix other than reinstall and maybe it will work. The hell with it, I am just gonna run the plain old console client. Getting this SMP client to run is an exercise in frustration.

I'm not much for programming and stuff; is the software that hard to design to be user friendly? I use other apps that are multithreaded/SMP capable, so what's so different about the F@H app that makes it so tricky?

If I remember right when drunk.

Download and extract the folding files.
Start -> Settings -> Contol Panel -> User Accounts.
Add password to account.
Turn User Account Control off.
Reboot.
Run the Install.bat
Type in User name then Password twice.
Turn User Account Control back on.
Reboot.
Run FAH.exe and it should ask you for all the config info.
Say no to running it as a service.
You should now be folding.
Easy ............... :p

There is a +4X bonus if you can get it to work.
But it is beta software so keep an eye on it.

Edit. Dont put the folding folder in C:\Program Files(86)\*******.
Its harder to get it running right from there.

Luck ............ :D

The claims of 4000PPD are not possible running F@H under Vista or XP. The max you will prob see there is 2500PPD which is still a lot better than the 600PPD for 4 single clients. To get a quad in the 3500+ range takes an overclock to 3.0ghz+ and 2 gig minimum (3 gig if you want to also use the machine while it folds) and running VMware Server Console (very easy to set up) with 2 virtual 64bit Linux machines running SMP. It sounds complicated but it really is not. Best of all VMware and Linux are free. When set up you will turn in 2 BIG work units a day for as much as 1760Pts each.

For the setting up of vmware and linux, im assuming thats recommended for use on a dedicated folding machine, not one you'd use for daily use, correct? I'm wondering because I'm getting a quad soon but its going to be used as my main computer.

For the setting up of vmware and linux, im assuming thats recommended for use on a dedicated folding machine, not one you'd use for daily use, correct? I'm wondering because I'm getting a quad soon but its going to be used as my main computer.

Straight up linux is the way to go for a dedicated folder.

If you run windows on your main box then you have two choices.
The first is to run the windows smp client.
The second is to run linux in a VM and run the linux smp client. That will gain you about 12% in production. It just depends on how often you reboot as to how much of a pain this option is.

Yea, I have a few dedicated linux boxen running, I was just curious about a quad core with the vmware running along with other things (mainly games). Ill probably run the windows smp client. I still have a few months to go before i get it anyway. Thanks

ooh, I remembered how to post my badge

edit: omg, im nearing 750k!

Back