Conflicted

OldSchool

Limp Gawd
Okay, so after deciding on a new monitor to replace my dying CRT (I am going with an HP ZR24w), I figure it is time for an upgrade of my main system.

The current configuration is as follows:

AMD Athlon X2 6000+
2GB Corsair DDR2 800
Gigabyte Mobo (forget the exact model #, standard features)
EVGA GeForce 9800GT 512MB
HT Omega Claro Plus+ Sound Card
80GB Kingston SSDNow M Series (Same as Intel X25-M, OS/installed programs drive)
72GB WD Raptor 10Krpm (old system drive, various use now)
500GB WD 7200rpm (storage)
450W Antec PS

I plan on doing the upgrade in 2 stages (due to financial restrictions): a core upgrade (Mobo, proc, memory), and a video/power upgrade (video card, power supply). These are the components I am considering:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2Ghz
4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 (Basic, 1 - 16x PCI-E)

EVGA GeForce GTX 465 1GB
Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W

According to the power supply calculator on Antec's website my current power supply will be able to handle the core system upgrade, I will need to upgrade the PS if I get a more powerful modern video card. My primary concern is gaming performace. I currently play most games at my desktop resolution (1280x960 @ 120Hz), I plan on playing games at the native res of my new display (1920x1200 @ 60Hz). The question is: how much of an impact does the dramatic increase in resolution have on the GPU? For example, will I have to turn down the current graphics settings that I use in games in order to account for the increase in resolution? Additionally, if I do end up going with the new video card and power supply, will my current core system present too much of a bottleneck to take full advantage of the available performance increase?

Any input on these issues would be much appreciated! (i.e. - what order you would do it in and why) :cool:

find out what motherboard first as many AM2+ boards can support AM3 cpu.

video card now @ 720p 5770 would do the job or get 5830 or GTX 460.

The question is: how much of an impact does the dramatic increase in resolution have on the GPU? For example, will I have to turn down the current graphics settings that I use in games in order to account for the increase in resolution? Additionally, if I do end up going with the new video card and power supply, will my current core system present too much of a bottleneck to take full advantage of the available performance increase?

Any input on these issues would be much appreciated! (i.e. - what order you would do it in and why) :cool:

As for the first question, yes you will have to turn down settings going from your old resolution to the 1920x1200. The 9800GT isn't a high end card but you can still play at that resolution, just don't expect the eye candy you had at your lower resolution.

Second question, most likely you will be bottlenecking anything above a 5770, and since I would suggest a 5830 or above for 1920x1200 then yes you would likely have a bottleneck. That being said, there is no harm in getting the GPU and PSU now and running them in your old system. I would run that until you have sufficient funds to upgrade to a more modern "core" system, then just slap your gpu and psu into the new system and you are set to go.

Correction, current mobo is an MSI K9N SLI Platinum. Dunno why I was thinking it was Gigabyte... :rolleyes: According to a search this one can't be upgraded to accept the Phenom II? At any rate, I wouldn't want to keep this board for several reasons (memory speed, HT limitations, etc), also I have plans for this mobo/proc/memory setup.

I also see everyone recommending ATI cards. I have always been an Nvidia loyalist but after looking at some benchmarks I am starting to reconsider... A 5830 or 5850 is a better idea then?

I also see everyone recommending ATI cards. I have always been an Nvidia loyalist but after looking at some benchmarks I am starting to reconsider... A 5830 or 5850 is a better idea then?

yes 5850 is faster but these 5830 is $200 these day, which gives a better performance per dollar than 5850.

the ati cards are less power hungry, and if your psu really does 620W then you shouldnt need to upgrade it if you get an ati card. idk about the 460 specifically, but i know the GTX400 series cards take a lot more power per performance than the HD5000 series cards. i run my sig rig with the 600W psu in it and its more than enough.

i would actually recommend upgrading your video card first, as that will give you way more performance difference than the cpu/memory/mobo (at least in gaming, if you feel like its too sluggish just browsing the internet and on the desktop then you should upgrade the core components first). personally i would recommend getting a 5850 or 5830 now and popping it in. super quick and easy upgrade. make sure to completely wipe the old drivers though and then download the new ones. this will give you a huge bump in gaming performance for the time being, and then later on you can upgrade your core components to really get the most out of your new video card. :)

(also personally, i would get a used 5850 for $240 because theyre way better for maximizing performance on that high resolution. if you want to buy new, the 5830 at $200 is probably a better deal than a 5850 for nearly $300 but youll have to either overclock it or lower a few setting at that res.)

Back