Configuring two graphic cards

Mike2007x86

Weaksauce
So I just built a new system today. (See specs below)

I am trying to use the onboard HDMI for when I stream movies since it outputs to tv speakers and I have a RCA to 3.5mm going to a 5.1 setup on a yamaha 6130 reciever.
The problem is, when I plug in my VW246H monitor to a GTX260 DVI port it turns off the onboard HDMI that I want to use for streaming sound and video to my TV. Before I got my new VW246H I would just use DVI for my old samsung 226bw and use DVI/HDMI adapter to the tv on port 2. No sound was transferred to the tv, but now with an onboard HDMI port for sound I have the advantage of sound coming thru the tv speakers too.

Now for my GTX 260 I have two DVI ports and on the back of my VW246H I have 1x VGA, 1x HDMI, and 1x DVI

What is the best method to use, since I can't get any sound by connecting a DVI/HDMI Adapter to my HDMI monitor port. Is there any reason to use HDMI over DVI without the sound coming in properly?

isnt the 260 supposed to have working hdmi with sound? it may be on one of the dvi ports & cards usually come with an adapter

Its been my experience that sound won't transfer when a DVI-HDMI adapter is added into the mix. Only a straight HDMI connection will transfer sound.

After reading more indepth on using two cards

I came to the conclusion that I am going to buy a spdif cable and run it from my xfi titanium into my gtx 260. Doing this will make the 260 GTX send out audio also.
By default only HDMI video is transferred out of nvidia graphics. You need an additional spdif cable to the motherboard. Then HDMI plays correctly.

did you check to see if you need that super thin spdif cable? i needed to use it on my old 260gtx.

wow, posted seconds after mike2007 about the spdif cable lol

Back