configuring router and modem for emule

cell_491

2[H]4U
ok i know that i need to set both my router and cable modem to accept incoming pings through ports 4662 and 4672. Ive accessed my router's settings by inputing its ip address in the mozilla address bar, heres my problem whenever i input the ports into the firewall>virtual servers and select tcp for port 4662 and udp for port 4672 and click enable and then apply settings it WONT save the frigging settings however i can turn the routers firewall off entirely. Second how the hell do i do this with my modem i have no idea how to find its ip address because ipconfig only tells me my router ip...anyway as you can probably tell im completely lost

what kind of router is it ??? just need to foward the ports on the router and dont forget to foward port 4711 tcp packets...

nomak said:
what kind of router is it ??? just need to foward the ports on the router and dont forget to foward port 4711 tcp packets...
a shitty ass belkin router

We had the SAME Problem with a POS Belkin router my salesmen sold to a client. No matter what, we coudln't get PC anywhere to work because the POS Belkin wouldn't open the damn ports. In desperation, we threw in a basic linksys router, set it up and wallah, problem solved!

Long story short, throw the belkin in the garbage and go buy a Links WRT54g.

IceWind said:
We had the SAME Problem with a POS Belkin router my salesmen sold to a client. No matter what, we coudln't get PC anywhere to work because the POS Belkin wouldn't open the damn ports. In desperation, we threw in a basic linksys router, set it up and wallah, problem solved!

Long story short, throw the belkin in the garbage and go buy a Links WRT54g.
ive definitely been considering it...ill check the "normal" places maybe theyll have one on sale

ok dont laugh but im cheap as hell and i really dont want to buy another wireless router because only one out of three pcs are connected wirelessly the other two are hardwired to that pos belkin is it possible to replace the wireless router with a wired router (as the main router) then hardwire the other router to the new router and use it as an access point for the one wireless connection? keep in mind that the pc im using is hardwired, so if i was able to use a normal router i could open the ports for my pc but the other router would still restrict the ports for the wirelessy connected pc...right?

IceWind said:
Now your just making it harder then it needs to be. Get the Belkin outa the equation completely, its not that hard to reset up a wireless connection for your one PC.

Your not gonna find one cheaper then here btw
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124010
staples has the same one with a $20 rebate. Also it has nothing to do with how hard it is to set up another wireless connection i can do that with my eyes closed and my fingers chopped off its all about cost...if i can set up the wireless belkin as an access point than i can buy a cheaper wired linksys router for like $20

fuck it im gonna buy the linksys wireles router...alsohow do i find the ip address of my cable modem when i use ipconfig all i t tells me is the pc ip address and the router address (default gateway"

the cable modem ip address will be listed in your router somewheres.. cause Im assuming the router uses NAT so that your real cable Ip address is not used on your network but is accessed through a gateway set up by your router...

Being a cable modem, its 99% likely that your getting a live, DHCP'ed IP address from you cable provider which changes every so often. No worries, just set the Linksys's WAN ethernet port to accept DHCP and it will take care of the rest. You don't want live IP's on your machines anyway.

did you try upgrading the firmware?

i think there is a setting in network connections that allows you to change the ports too.

your forwarding not triggering right? I remember the same kind of problem on my router too.

IceWind said:
Being a cable modem, its 99% likely that your getting a live, DHCP'ed IP address from you cable provider which changes every so often. No worries, just set the Linksys's WAN ethernet port to accept DHCP and it will take care of the rest. You don't want live IP's on your machines anyway.
i switch from dsl and i have to learn it all over again...lol

Does the Belkin router support UPnP? If it does, it'd be worth looking at. That way, the client software can automatically forward the appropriate ports when it loads. If your router doesn't have UPnP, consider getting one that does. Personally, I've had great experience with SMC routers (specifically, the SMC7004VWBR). The UPnP features work great, as opposed to the THREE Linksys routers I've tried which all insisted on locking up after a couple hours whenever I had UPnP enabled.

Back