Configuring Cisco 1721 for T1

askyrie

n00b
Can anyone help me out with this? We ordered a T1 from Sprint recently for our business. We thought they would install it for us but they just set it up at the building and mailed us the Cisco 1721 and told us we were ready. Any help is appreciated.

Wow. You don't have any network admins that know cisco?

I guess the first place you should start is www.cisco.com

You can also try the Cisco FAQ.

To get things started, you'll need a few things from the service provider. These include:

IP address
Subnet mask
Routing Protocols (if any)
Their IP address (which is where your static/default routes may point to)

The basic steps to configuring a router are:

1. Configure the Interfaces (IP address, No Shut, bandwidth, etc)
2. Configure routing (Static routes, routing protocols, etc.)
3. Lock down the router (secret password, VTY lines, ACLs, etc.)

All this information, as well as the steps to configuring it can be found in droves at Cisco's web site or through Google. You just need to have some patience.

If Sprint told you that you were ready they may have configed the router for you. And all that is left to do is plug it in.

Originally posted by valve1138
If Sprint told you that you were ready they may have configed the router for you. And all that is left to do is plug it in.

Highly doubtful... it's usually an OEM router that they send.

BobSutan had the right idea! All hail BobSutan :D

www.cisco.com has everything you need.

It's probably a Frame-Relay line. You will need to know the DLCI, time slots, and IP address info from Sprint to complete the cofiguration.

Originally posted by Anthony.L
Why is that?

Your standard T1 comes in a point-to-point flavor with HDLC as the encapsulation. Unless they are doing something that requires point-to-multipoint topology, I doubt they went with FR. However, since he didn't really say what they're doing with it, its impossible to say what topology or encapsulation method is to be employed.

First things first, did they provide a stand alone CSU or does the router have an integrated CSU? I would verify layers 1 and 2 first, then move on to layer 3...

If you get all of the required information it should be fairly easy for one of us to help you set it up.

Originally posted by BobSutan
Your standard T1 comes in a point-to-point flavor with HDLC as the encapsulation. Unless they are doing something that requires point-to-multipoint topology, I doubt they went with FR. However, since he didn't really say what they're doing with it, its impossible to say what topology or encapsulation method is to be employed.

I would think he'd be smart enough to mention frame-relay as you have to specifically ask for it unless the sales rep you're talking to recommends frame-relay. When you call and ask for a T1.. that's what you get.. a 1.544mb T1 line.

You never know. To be honest, I sense a great deal of inexperience in his post. But then again I could be entirely wrong.

Anywho, one of the things I've learned from experience is that the hardest part of any network design is finding out what the customer is truly asking for. They often times say one thing perhaps thinking of something else, or maybe they misunderstood what they may have been told by a consultant or service provider (or merely don't know what they need to accomplish a given goal). Regardless, finding out what their true goals are is often difficult, to say the least.

I appreciate the help guys. We didn't request specifically for a Frame Relay. I went through the Cisco website and got the configuration for a "Leased Line", and a Frame Relay configuration. It would fall into that leased line catagory if it is not frame relay, correct? The probem here is that we don't know a whole lot of information that goes into the configuration, and we don't know who to talk to. Funny eh? read on.

I'm just the basic network and hardware maintenance guy. My boss had some Cisco guy lined up for the job but I don't know if he's coming through. He's supposedly done a hundred of these but I hardly believe it. He wanted my boss to find him the configuration software CD that he thought came with the Cisco router but I showed my boss the parts list and there ain't no plug and play configuration software CD that does it for you. Second, he didn't know how to get into the Cisco through hyper terminal or web based program (I forgot what it's called). The guy also was to set up the network for us but he couldn't do it because he didn't know what the workgroup name of the server is. So I'm already ahead of that guy on those 3 things.

Sooo what I'm doing here is preparing for the worse in case I end up having to do it. We got a WAN IP address out of Sprint and jackshit else... No packet came with the deal, no technical support number. We just called the main Sprint number and was told that we should contact the sales rep. We called their local building that we ordered it from and was told to leave our information and the rep would call us back.

I don't know what kinda business this is. For DSL, the ISP sends the customer a Cisco modem and they can call up to tech support and be given instructions on configuring it. Why is it different for a T1?

never trust someone sad he have whatever the certificate is..
there was a Cisco guy with MCSE came to our new office to do our network, and he stopped within ONE hour, why?? he doesnt know how to make something from 5000 feet of cables and RJ45 jacks. you know what it is..

(well from my knowledge its not in a Cisco textbook..but for MCSE its in the very basic Networking Essential..)

anyway.. if you can get to their tech support.. they will be willing to go thru all the setup with you step by step..
chk the packages comes with your router. there should be a list of configurations with it, such as IP range..my ISP comes with a few pieces of paper, not a CD(no idea for sprint tho)..

in my understanding(correct me if im wrong)... you just need to play with network configuration and no need a 3rd party program at all to get your network setted up?? i helped my companys engineer 3 years ago with a T3 line and three LG switch and i never see him install anything else with win2k corp edition..

Originally posted by askyrie
The probem here is that we don't know a whole lot of information that goes into the configuration, and we don't know who to talk to....

....He's supposedly done a hundred of these but I hardly believe it. He wanted my boss to find him the configuration software CD that he thought came with the Cisco router but I showed my boss the parts list and there ain't no plug and play configuration software CD that does it for you. Second, he didn't know how to get into the Cisco through hyper terminal or web based program (I forgot what it's called). The guy also was to set up the network for us but he couldn't do it because he didn't know what the workgroup name of the server is....

No offense, but this is a good example of the saying "in the land of the blind the one eye'd man is king". Get yourselves a real network admin with some solid background experience. This guy you're dealing with doesn't seem to know his butt from a whole in the ground. If he can't even console into the device then he's gotta go.

Oh, and if you PM me with your email address I can send you a little cutsheet to get you started with the router config.

Originally posted by BobSutan

Not trying to threadjack here but I have to ask.

OKay, I thought HDLC is a proprietary Cisco encapsulation? Wouldnt it make more sense for the telco to provision the line using a generic encapsualtion method like PPP? Or if its a point to point between two systems wouldnt it have no encapsulation set and this would be determined by the devices on either end of the T1? (Im a ex-telco guy whos moving over to the data world, so please take pity :) )

Originally posted by Flagg
Not trying to threadjack here but I have to ask.

OKay, I thought HDLC is a proprietary Cisco encapsulation? Wouldnt it make more sense for the telco to provision the line using a generic encapsualtion method like PPP? Or if its a point to point between two systems wouldnt it have no encapsulation set and this would be determined by the devices on either end of the T1? (Im a ex-telco guy whos moving over to the data world, so please take pity :) )

You're half-correct. HDLC in of itself is not proprietary, but almost every vendor implements their own version of it on their hardware. This is why its not uncommon to see PPP (or some other encapsulation protocol).

As for not having any encapsulation set, well, I don't know. That's a good question. I'll tinker around in the lab tomarrow if I get some free time.

You're half-correct. HDLC in of itself is not proprietary

Lousy Nortel trainers, they lied to me :) Just when I thought I had all of the acronyms down, I go and switch fields and have to learn 1000's others. I'm interested in the Point to Point T1 and encapsulation. Thanks for looking into that

Ok, after spending 11 hours on the phone with them over 2 days, I got it up and running. I had 4 techs working with me at one time hehe. Those stingy bastards couldn't put 10 lines of configuration into the Cisco (i think my boss said they wanted $600 for that). They ended up losing more money that way.

Here's the correct configuration. Maybe you guys can tell me a few things about it. Would you guys have been able to get that correct with just the 2 WAN IP addresses supplied by them? It's definately not the same as Cisco's documentation.

config.JPG

Originally posted by askyrie
Ok, after spending 11 hours on the phone with them over 2 days, I got it up and running. I had 4 techs working with me at one time hehe. Those stingy bastards couldn't put 10 lines of configuration into the Cisco (i think my boss said they wanted $600 for that). They ended up losing more money that way.

Here's the correct configuration. Maybe you guys can tell me a few things about it. Would you guys have been able to get that correct with just the 2 WAN IP addresses supplied by them? It's definately not the same as Cisco's documentation.

The stuff your provider is required to provide you in order for you to set up the router on your side is the IP address of the interface on the other end of your serial port (where your default route is pointing to), the FastEthernet port's IP address (and your local network's IP range/subnet), and the DLCI and IP address needed for the serial interface. Should they have required you to run a routing protocol you would have needed info for that as well.

Back