Config of static IP on PC with new Sprint DSL modem..

Ramma2

n00b
Just got a new Sprint DSL modem. I am trying to set up everything with static IP's. The modem seems to have its subnet mask hardcoded as 255.255.255.252. Thats fine, I really don't care what subnet mask it is.

When I disable DHCP though, and try to set my PC with a static IP and the subnet mask of the modem, I get:

"The combination of IP address and subnet mask is invalid. All of the bits in the host address portion of the IP address are set to 1. Please enter a valid combination of IP address and subnet mask."

Any suggestions? I've stumped 2 Sprint techs so far, am getting tired!

This assumes that you actually have a static IP configured thru Sprint. They are going to give you a DHCP address because its a more cost effective means of network management for their customers. You shouldnt try to give yourself a static IP, you are asking for random internet troubles when Sprint's DHCP servers assign your IP to some yay-hoo and prevents you both from getting online.

If you ordered a static IP, you will need to call them again for the IP, subnet and gateway information and a walkthrough on how to configure your modem/PC for its use.

Back