Conclusion: Crossfire x2 R290X is overkill in my opinion

Counterpoint.

All 3 of my EK blocks are fine. Cards never go over 45c and fans are barely audible. But then again I have 4 360mm radiators.

not overkill if you run a high resolution :p I can barely pull 60fps with 4 titans using surround :p On one 1600p I'd call it ideal if anything >.>

1 (one), 290x, is about as fast as 2 (two) GTX 670 in SLI on my system.

290x is a great, fast card. But if you want to max out all your games, there will be some that will stress the card ALOT. Having 2 or more will alleviate the stress, and allow for higher FPS.

Common sense really.

HF, good day:)

One 290X is not enough if you are playing on a 1440p monitor. In Crysis 3 on Ultra I'm lucky to average 38fps with dips into the high 20's.

Funny thing is just yesterday I was thinking of replacing my aging 480's with a single 290x, as it provides nearly the same performance as 780Ti in 5760x1200 with a much cheaper price tag and now I see this thread.

Personally and I am going to give my own opinion as I am pretty sure I was one of the first people to get into the eyefinity surround hype, after nearly 5 years of using this setup, I still don't see the difference between playing some games on high or ultra from medium, and the reason is 3 screens is so immersive you look at the whole picture than nitpicking some stuff on the screen, and even to this day I can still play many games on the native res of these screens with my cards. and last but not least even Star citizen on 5040x1050 medium settings :D.

But yea it's time for an upgrade probably will wait till the next gen cards pop one in and call it a day for this old build.

Last edited:
Back