Computers on a hub/router can't access network higher up...

fromage

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I'm extremely bad at explaining my problem, but here goes nothing.

Recently I installed a D-Link Wireless DI-524 router on my already existing network. My existing network consisted of my modem connecting to the WAN port of my LInksys BEFSR41 router, then to 3 seprate computers, then to another D-Link 5 port hub, which connects to 4 other computers. Hopefully I haven't lost you yet.

I connected the new D-Link wireless router to the Linksys router. I set the wireless router to DHCP the ip from the Linksys router(and the Linksys router PPPoE to my DSL for internet). I set up MAC filtering, WEP, blah blah blah, and everything works fine, on the Internet side of things. However, I cannot access the LAN, or shared files on ANY computer on the Linksys or the other D-Link Hub. Reversely, none of the other computers can access the LAN or shared folders located on the wireless router.

Now, I also have 2 different IP configurations. 192.168.1.1 is for my Linksys router admin page and 192.168.0.1 is for D-Link Wireless admin page. All the computers on the Linksys and the D-Link hub have 192.168.1.*** ips, while on the D-Link wireless router have 192.168.0.*** ips.

All the computers are on the same subnet(255.255.255.0) and same workgroup. What could be wrong?

Thanks for your help, if the question was answered before, then I'm not good at searching at all. ;)

well, the problem is that you've added a hardware firewall in the middle of your network.

You could get around this by rigging a VPN server on the Linksys side and having the DLink side connect to that (thus gaining Linksys IP addys).
Alternatively (better solution, but expensive if you can't swap the DLink) is to get an access point instead of a router, which is what you ought to be using.

// edit: everything below here is tangentially related, but not any real solution

Also, the subnet in this case isn't an issue. You've got two segregate networks of 192.168.0.* and 192.168.1.*, they won't play nice as a native LAN.

Now, if you went to 10.0.0.* as the assigned IP range on one and 10.0.1.* as the assigned IP range on the other, and set a subnet of 255.255.0.0 (network ID of 10.0.*.*) on both, they might cooperate a little better... but I doubt it.
//edit: on second thought, the routers probably don't support a subnet like that. So amend it to router IPs of 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.129, with each assigning IPs up from there, and a matching subnet of 255.255.255.0. That'd give you a single network ID of 10.0.0.* -- again, though, your mileage may vary with this approach.

Now, I also have 2 different IP configurations. 192.168.1.1 is for my Linksys router admin page and 192.168.0.1 is for D-Link Wireless admin page. All the computers on the Linksys and the D-Link hub have 192.168.1.*** ips, while on the D-Link wireless router have 192.168.0.*** ips.

All the computers are on the same subnet(255.255.255.0) and same workgroup. What could be wrong?

no that's not correct...you are using the same SUBNET MASK but 192.168.1.* and 192.168.0.* are different subnets. You can either put all the nodes on the same subnet or change the netmask to 255.255.0.0

Gav

Also, turn off the DHCP on the new router. You want only 1 DHCP server on your LAN.

While I know the other guys are trying to be helpful, I'll reiterate the correct solution:

Remove the second router. You want an access point.

The other issues / info provided all derive from having the extra, unnecessary router. The networks/subnets themselves are not the root problem, and DHCP has nothing to do with it.

lomn75 said:
Remove the second router. You want an access point.

Lack of fundage...

A prime example of how cheap I am, I got the router at a Fry's while on vacation...Please spare me the flames...Had I known about this earlier, I wouldn't have this problem.

OK, then, we'll see if we can work around it. Stuff like this happens If you run across the chance to sell the extra router to someone, though... What you want to do is:

first, move everything possible to the linksys router. I presume you've only got one wireless machine, but regardless, minimize the impact if at all possible

second, look into rigging a VPN connection to the linksys. I think newer ones can support this themselves, but it probably won't be the case for you. I don't see it often.

If the router can't handle it, see if you can find something that'll run on a windows system.
This may entail putting a DHCP server on that system as well. It won't mess up the network, just make sure that (1) the network settings (192.168.0.1 and 255.255.255.0) are the same as the linksys and (2) the range of IPs distributed are different. Linksys usually starts at .100, so run the new one from .50 to .70 or so.
Anyhoo, once a VPN server (and DHCP server, if needed) is in place, you'll want anything on the Dlink side to VPN onto the Linksys side. As long as the VPN connection is active, you'll act as if on the same LAN.

This tutorial looks like exactly what you'll need, no DHCP server required, just a WinXP box on the Linksys side. I do not think you'll need to use the "if behind a router" portion of the instructions. The box in question is in front of the DLink router, which is the troublesome one. While it is behind the Linksys router, you'll only want to publish that port if you also want to connect in from outside your house entirely (which may well be the case, just make sure you have good passwords).

Hope this helps.

I just realized something (talk about missing the forest for the trees):

Can you just swap the network placement of the DLink and Linksys routers? Unless you simply don't have enough ports, you can just put the DLink at the head of the network and retire the Linksys altogether. Then you've got the one nice happy LAN, and a spare router to sell for extra cash.

lomn75 said:
I just realized something (talk about missing the forest for the trees):

Can you just swap the network placement of the DLink and Linksys routers? Unless you simply don't have enough ports, you can just put the DLink at the head of the network and retire the Linksys altogether. Then you've got the one nice happy LAN, and a spare router to sell for extra cash.

Actually I can(my mom actually suggest the same thing you did...boy do I feel stupid for not listening)...though I've grown kinda fond of my Linksys, plus it has all my port forwarding and everything.

Back