Computer wont stay on longer than 1 second when 4 pin connector plugged in

Cali3350

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys.

Biostar 965PT and E6300 system. When I plug in the systems power with the 4 pin ATX 12V connector the system will very briefly boot up, immediately shut down (about 1/2 second boot time) and then try again in about 5 seconds. It will just repeat doing this the entire time. If I take the 4 pin power connector out the system will stay on (though obviously not boot since the CPU isn't getting power).

Any ideas?

I had an issue like this, but the system wasn't booting with a certain power supply, and as ridiculous as it sounds, I just did a BIOS update and it fixed it.

Have you tried another power supply too?

What PSU do you have? If it's a 8 pin and splits to two four pins, make sure you have the correct 4 pin plugged in. Otherwise, reseat the CPU, make sure there's a good connection between it and the heatsink, make sure there's not a ton of thermal paste, just one dot spread evenly.

Well I resat the CPU and re-plugged everything - no difference was made.

Tried a older 945 based motherboard and it booted up perfectly. I guess the motherboard was dead? Unfortunate as I know i could have gotten 3ghz outta the old board and im stuck at 2.25 for this one :(

Hard to switch bios or anything like that when the board wont even post. Guess im just screwed with that ol board, which is a shame. It was a great performer.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway guys!

Can you test the board with another power supply? It may just be an incompatibility with the one you were using rather than a faulty board.

As Flea77 asked, have you reset the bios? And if you have, have you made sure it's up-to-date with the most recent BIOS version? I know in the old days Flashing BIOS seemed to be extremely risky and difficult for some, but now days with modern computing advances it's quite simple (depending on the brand of board at least).

When checking for the updated BIOS version, make sure your CPU AND RAM are both listed as being compatible. In some cases, two boards that support 45nm Wolfdale Intels might not accept the same rating of RAM (1.5v vs. say a 1.7v). Sometimes boards will be sensitive, as I've learned in my experience.

Back