Computer won't stay off....

nekrosoft13

[H]ard|Gawd
I have one PC that won't stay off...

about 2-3 seconds after shutdown, after the Power LED turns off the PC will turn on again.

after that If I hold the power button it will turn off and stay off.

This is mini-itx desktop.

Punch it in the face to prove you're right.

So you select shut-down from the start menu (not sleep?). When it turns back on, does it look like it's resumed from sleep (i.e., not actually powered down)? Or does it look like it's actually rebooted? Are there any windows system processes in the scheduler (assuming windows) that will prevent the system from shutting down? Or some 3rd party program (for example, I use Cobian Backup and if it's executing a backup task, it will not allow the computer to sleep, hybernate, shut down, or otherwise change state in a way that interrupts the backup).

Punch it in the face to prove you're right.

So you select shut-down from the start menu (not sleep?). When it turns back on, does it look like it's resumed from sleep (i.e., not actually powered down)? Or does it look like it's actually rebooted? Are there any windows system processes in the scheduler (assuming windows) that will prevent the system from shutting down? Or some 3rd party program (for example, I use Cobian Backup and if it's executing a backup task, it will not allow the computer to sleep, hybernate, shut down, or otherwise change state in a way that interrupts the backup).

what he said plus check bios see if you have any wake on options selected

I agree with the guys above, and make sure wake on keystroke or something along those lines is not on. Also check to make sure said power button isn't sticking. Just a long shot on the hardware side of things

I've had one of our work computers do this for the past 3 and a half years. All our other machines (exactly the same model, innards etc.) are totally fine, just a problem with this one (HP Compaq 6200 mini towers).

To this date we've never solved the problem, but I've got some ideas as to why it's happening. BIOS updates didn't fix anything, changing power settings etc. didn't fix it - I'm betting there's power being leaked from somewhere that causes the MoBo to start up again. The only way we can get it to shut down is exactly as you're doing now, or pull the plug after shutdown.

In terms of where power is being leaked, or cross wired to something - that could be in the MoBo itself, or potentially the PSU supplying some kind of power when it's supposed to be off. We don't care much to fix it as it's just a work computer, but I'd start there with yours!

I have one PC that won't stay off...

about 2-3 seconds after shutdown, after the Power LED turns off the PC will turn on again.

after that If I hold the power button it will turn off and stay off.

This is mini-itx desktop.

What happens when you unplug it? You could be a very rich man very soon... :D

Back