Computer won't start

panta

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 21, 2009
Messages
106
The computer powers up as soon as the power cable is plugged in (don't need to press the power button) but there is no signal to the monitor and all the fans are running at maximum speed. It can be turned off by holding the power button down. I have tried turning it on with each RAM module separately, tested the PSU with a DMM, swapped out the HD with a spare, and removed and cleaned the CPU/heatsink and applied new thermal compound, none of which fixed the problem.

What else can I try? The owner of the PC intends to take it into a repair shop tomorrow ($40 for diagnosis alone).

Athlon 64 3500 2.2 ghz

300W PSU

512 + 1024 MB RAM

unknown motherboard / integrated GPU

80GB HD
 
I did the 'paperclip test' on the PSU and it ran okay. I also tested it with it hooked up to all the components and it didn't appear to deviate from the ATX voltage tolerance chart I used. The power button can be used to turn the PC off, as I said, so I'm not sure that it being stuck could be the problem.
 
Unfortunately I don't have anything I dare run on an old 300W PSU (4830 and 4870 in other computers).
 
Try to find a PCI video card lying around somewhere?

You do get the POST beep, right?
 
If no post beep, pull it out of the case and go through the barebones bench test outlined in the basic troubleshooting guide sticky. I doubt there's a post beep, though, since there's no video signal. If there is, then video is being pumped to a different output than what's plugged in, me thinks.
 
Back
Top