Computer won't start up

gamz247

Gawd
Ok, this is second-hand info, because this is my friend's computer and I haven't seen it do this, so...

Over the weekend his computer was left running, and then after a while it would just randomly shut down. He'd turn it back on again, and it'd run for another couple of hours and then cut off again.

Apparently it's now gotten to the point where he can't even turn the computer on. This is an old HP pre-built system... it's got a 400 MHz Celeron, 64 MBs RAM, prolly a 20GB hard drive, Win98.

I'm guessing that the problem is the PSU, y'know, since he can't turn the thing on and all. Any other ideas as to what the problem could be?

I was going to say heat, since old computers tend to have blankets of dust on the components, but considering it won't even power up, I'd also say PSU. Our PSU's are standard, so if you had an extra one, you could plug it in and see right away if that is the problem.

By the way, I've stayed several times in the Silver Spring Courtyard for my work with the USPS in D.C. Nice area.

I was also about to second the PSU check, but djnes beat me to it, heh.

It's my habit to test each individual part too, but you might be hard pressed to find another system compatible with that HP to test each part in with.

Also, make sure nothing is shorting. Believe it or not, I've had that problem before with a friend's machine, where the mobo was periodically come into contact w/ the case, and it was shorting the machine (so it would appear to be randomly shutting off).

djnes said:
I was going to say heat, since old computers tend to have blankets of dust on the components, but considering it won't even power up, I'd also say PSU. Our PSU's are standard, so if you had an extra one, you could plug it in and see right away if that is the problem.
Yeah, he's gonna vacuum everything out later and see if that makes any difference.

At least now I know that we can replace his PSU if we need to. Thanks.

Well, did you check to see if the wall plug was okay?

The other thing check is to see if the motherboard light is on. If it isn't then it definetly is a PSU problem.

Build a new comp for your friend and pocket some cash :p

Chicken Penni Pasta said:
Well, did you check to see if the wall plug was okay?
I haven't been out there to see what's happening, so no, I haven't checked it ;).

The other thing check is to see if the motherboard light is on. If it isn't then it definetly is a PSU problem.
Or the activity lights on the network card. Yeah, I'll check that tonite.

Build a new comp for your friend and pocket some cash :p
He already asked me to build a system for him, but then he decided to get one built for him thru his company. Damnit, I love putting these things together. I guess all I can do now is look at what he got and how much he paid for it to make sure he didn't get screwed over.

if it's not the heat it might be that the mobo is dying.. if the computer will start shutting off after shorter and shorter period of time, up to the point when it won't start up at all it will mean that the mobo is dead...

Back