Computer Won't Shut Off

Elmo187

Limp Gawd
Whenever I turn off my computer, whether it by via shutdown option in the os or by hitting the power button it won't stay off. It turns off(drives click off and power light goes out), and then almost instantly it restarts. To get it to turn off I have to toggle the power switch on the psu. This all started a couple days ago and I really have no idea what would cause this. The only thing that I could think of to try was the "State After Power Loss" or something like that option in the BIOS, and I made sure it was set to Power Off.

Any thoughts on what could cause this?

Specs:
NF7 rev2.0
XP2500+
512mb Crucial PC2700
80gb Maxtor
20gb Maxtor
dual booting XP/RH9

Edit: Not overclocked, I moved back down to stock speeds a couple weeks ago.

Loose wire in the switch somewhere? Try unplugging your ethernet cable. Maybe something is sending a WOL signal. Virus maybe?

It could be some sort of advanced AI that's made it's way into your rig or a possesion. If that's the case. Destroy it!

Removing the ethernet cable and disabling WOL didn't help. I also noticed that sometimes after it resets it is running the CPU at 1.1ghz, instead of 1.83ghz which is stock. But it will then go back to normal after another reboot.

Well, I tried flashing the BIOS and as luck would have it I seem to have had a bad flash. The flash util didn't report any errors but I now can't get past the POST screen. Looks like I'm gonna be ordering a new bios chip.

I've flashed to the newest BIOS version and it still will only turn off via the PSU power switch.

I've checked over the case wiring, and nothing is shorting.

I'm really at a loss here. :confused:

I had a compaq desktop (quit bitching, I priced the parts inside and couldn't find a better deal) that this was hapening to a while ago. I never did figure out what was causing it. But one day I took the whole thing apart and then put it back together (spring cleaning) and it never did it after that.

who turns off their comptuer anyways? seriously..

but it is probably a wierd short cause by a dust bunny or something... get some canned air.. spray it out.. and try again...

Back