Computer Won't Shut Down

HardwareGuru

Supreme [H]ardness
My brothers PC I notice does not shut down anymore. I press the power button and hold it for 5+ seconds and it still doesn't shut down. The only way to turn it off is to flip the switch on the back of the PSU. I am wondering if this is a problem with the PSU, Mobo or maybe just a software issue? No signs of crashing though in Windows. What do you guys think?

Specs of the PC

CASE - CoolerMaster Stacker
PSU - Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VW 600W with 35A on the +12v
MOBO - Asus A8N-SLI Premium
CPU - AMD Athlon FX-57 2.8ghz
RAM - OCZ Gold DDR 2GB (2x1GB)
VIDEO CARD - 2 x XFX Nvidia Geforce 7800GTX 256 in SLI
HDD - 1 x WD 74GB Raptor 10K drive and 1 x Maxtor 250GB IDE drive
OPTICAL - Sony DVD Burner
O/S - Windows XP Pro

have you changed something in the BIOS lately?
try using an Ubuntu (Linux) Live CD, boot into linux, and once you are in the desktop click on "shutdown", see if your PC turns off, if you have the same problem as in windows, then it could be either your mobo or psu

Yup, even if you hit shutdown in the OS nothing happens. It looks like it wants to shut off but, the computer doesn't turn off. Maybe it maybe his PSU starting to crap out. I notice his LED fans hardly showing any light like.. it's very dim but, they still spin. Even the light cathode in his case is barely lit. But, no signs of crashing or freezing though in windows when in use or while he is playing games.

even if you hit the shut down button in the OS? still nothing?

Nothing changed in the BIOS. Even when BIOS set to default, still the same. Never tried booting off a Linux cd, I will try that out.

have you changed something in the BIOS lately?
try using an Ubuntu (Linux) Live CD, boot into linux, and once you are in the desktop click on "shutdown", see if your PC turns off, if you have the same problem as in windows, then it could be either your mobo or psu

the quarter of a cent switch that came with the case might be the problem, have a spare? (it can keep the terminals shorted and similar things -> all sorts of fun)

as far as the LED fans/cathode showing dim light, if they're old, (The CCFLs at least), could just be age/dirt, although it could be voltage sagging, get your DMM out and have a peek

and just for grins, when was the last time you installed Windows?

I am having a similar problem. Can't shut down the pc. Reset and Power down switches don't work. Holding Power off for >5 secs turns off the pc else it goes into limbo (eg. if I press the reset switch) with HDD activity leds on, no display but fans spinning. I am also having problems booting up.
Can only start up after a cold boot after turning off the pc for several minutes.

I blame my psu. Something wrong with the Power_Good signal I think.
System is well grounded and works perfectly fine otherwise, no spontaneous crashes or bsods, no ups / power backup.

i manage by not turning off the computer for weeks.

I hope it's not the switch as he intends to do a full upgrade of this ancient PC already and reuse the case. I think it's time already. If it is the switch I can swap it and use one of the switches from one of the cases I am not using.

The last time Windows was installed on this computer was when it was first put together back in 2005.

the quarter of a cent switch that came with the case might be the problem, have a spare? (it can keep the terminals shorted and similar things -> all sorts of fun)

as far as the LED fans/cathode showing dim light, if they're old, (The CCFLs at least), could just be age/dirt, although it could be voltage sagging, get your DMM out and have a peek

and just for grins, when was the last time you installed Windows?

If its doing it even when told to shutdown from windows its most likely not a power switch issue. If it works to turn the machine on, but won't turn it off even if you hold it down, that says motherboard to me.

If you want to rule out a faulty power switch, I would boot the machine up, and carefully unplug the power switch (I'de do the reset switch as well) from the motherboard (very carefully) and see if it shuts down properly from Windows after the switch is unplugged.

It is much more likely that you have either a bad motherboard or PSU. Try updating the BIOS on your motherboard, clear the CMOS, and put in only the basic BIOS settings. If you have another PSU around, give that a shot as well.

Hey, thanks for those suggestions. But, I am not gonna really bother with that system or my brother will bother with it either. It's time for a new build already. Him and his friend want to play COD5 and both are using a 24" 1920x1200 display. He definitely needs a complete upgrade.

I'm betting it was an OS issue, though PSU and mobo are also very likely.

Stacker? love that case!

Yeah, he will reuse the case. He has the Crossflow fan also in that case. It's one heavy ass case though hehe.

Back