Computer wont power up

bonkrowave

2[H]4U
For starters Boo-urns

Well this morning I had quite the situation with my computer. I turned it on, powered up fine, then went to take a shower. When I came back the computer was off. When I pushed the power button the fans will rotate and lights will go on, but only for a milli-second. Any additional attempts will not cause the fans to spin, nor lights to go on, until I flick the switch on the back of the PSU and the power bar. I was having problems with my PC powering down for no reason about 2 weeks ago, but it seemed to stop .. that is until today.

My assumpton is that the power supply went. The power supply is an Energ-max(SP) and has been around for 3 to 4 years.

I went out a MOD stream PSU that I will install later tonight. Before I open the OCZ Modstream, and voided any return chance, I just wanted to see if people agree with my assumption.

My specs are below. I very much doubt it is a heat problem ... as I have 5 fans (2xback, 2xfront, 1x blowing across videocard.

you could always check with a volt meter. or just use the paper-clip in the power supply trick to see if it will power the fan for longer.
just my thoughts, good luck!

Anarchonixx said:
I assume you've tried clearing the CMOS?

Ill give it a try when I get home from work. I should have already tried that, this OCZ modstream just looks so cool. :D Maybe I slept walk and create this problem just so I would buy one.

bonkrowave said:
Ill give it a try when I get home from work. I should have already tried that, this OCZ modstream just looks so cool. :D Maybe I slept walk and create this problem just so I would buy one.
Just got one myself along with basically a whole new system, and it is sexy as hell.~ GL resisting temptation. :p

That EXACT problem happened to me.. I tohught it was my cpu and mobo, but the mobo turns on and stuff, I think it is the psu!

swirly said:
That EXACT problem happened to me.. I tohught it was my cpu and mobo, but the mobo turns on and stuff, I think it is the psu!

I really dont think it is the Mobo. Because when I power the comp up .. even if it shuts down ... the leds attached to the ethernet port are still blinking.

Good news ... it was the power supply. So now I have that sexy OCZ Modstream PSU in there.

Weird little bit tho .... I had the CPU fan plugged into a four pin (using an adapter) and the computer resfused to show anything on either monitor until I plugged it into the mainboard .... weird.

Back