Computer won't power on anymore.

pugsley1218

Limp Gawd
My computer was running just fine until this morning. I pressed the power button and nothing happened. I tried everything to figure out what the problem was. I took every component out, and unplugged everything from the PSU. Still won't turn on. I reset the bios, I checked the power button switch, its fine, even tried turning it on with the screwdriver method, won't turn on. The Green LED on the motherboard is lit up though, so the motherboard must be getting power. I don't get why it won't turn on. I am out of ideas.

Motherboard is ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
PSU is 750w SLI certified FSP group.

Do this:

Unplug everything from your PSU. I mean every single cable. Now, I know this sounds bad, but trust me on this. Take a wire stripped at both ends, or a paper clip, and connect the green wire on the ATX plug to any of the black ones.

This will allow the PSU to turn on without a mobo connected, and if nothing is wrong with the PSU, it should fire up as soon as you plug it in (and make sure the switch on the back is set to on).

If not, definitely bad PSU. If it works, it could just not work under load, or most likely a different component (suspect mobo).

edit: And, obvious I'm sure, but make sure the outlet is good and try a different power cable to the PSU before throwing it out. And make sure there are no screws behind the mobo shorting it out, remove it and put it on cardboard just to make sure.

+1 to the above ^^ post

Try jumping the PSU via the paperclip method..

If that does not work it is the motherboard. This happened to my mom's old HP, and once I replaced the mobo everything else was perfectly fine.

Do this:

Unplug everything from your PSU. I mean every single cable. Now, I know this sounds bad, but trust me on this. Take a wire stripped at both ends, or a paper clip, and connect the green wire on the ATX plug to any of the black ones.

This will allow the PSU to turn on without a mobo connected, and if nothing is wrong with the PSU, it should fire up as soon as you plug it in (and make sure the switch on the back is set to on).

If not, definitely bad PSU. If it works, it could just not work under load, or most likely a different component (suspect mobo).

edit: And, obvious I'm sure, but make sure the outlet is good and try a different power cable to the PSU before throwing it out. And make sure there are no screws behind the mobo shorting it out, remove it and put it on cardboard just to make sure.

Just tried it. Fans spin on the PSU. The LEDs on the fans did not light up though. So, is my mobo broken?

Back