Computer won't post

Cheetoz

[H]ard|Gawd
Built a new computer. Was working fine yesterday. I turn it on today, and the keyboard doesn't light up and the monitor does not detect a signal. Everything runs power wise, though.

So now I have the mobo laying on its cardboard box, with just the ram and CPU (onboard video). Still nothing. Tried resetting the CMOS, nothing.

I don't have a PC speaker, but I do have earbuds and wires. So I hooked the 5V VDC pin to the left channel, and Speaker pin to ground, but I didn't hear anything. The diaphragms of the earbuds should be small enough to be powered without an amp, right? (I heard a hi freq doing 5V to gnd)

So I can assume my setup worked, and my mobo is dead, or still anything goes...

(Mobo is a refurbished Asus M4A785TD, and PSU is the crappy APEVIA)

Someone else just posted elsewhere with a brand new Apevia PSU that died in less than 20 minutes.. it def does sound PSU to me, though possibly mobo. Can you test the PSU on another system?

Someone else just posted elsewhere with a brand new Apevia PSU that died in less than 20 minutes.. it def does sound PSU to me, though possibly mobo. Can you test the PSU on another system?
Don't have any spare system/parts. I assumed that 1. If the PSU is the problem, the computer would not turn on at all. 2. Something on the PSU messed up and fried the mobo. But I dunno. I'd imagine if the PSU would mess up, it would be while the computer is running while doing something CPU intensive using lots of power. Not turning it on the next day :confused:

How long have you had both the motherboard and PSU?

PSU I think I bought it almost 2 years ago, but never used it. Motherboard arrived on tuesday, set the computer up on thursday, ran on friday, failure saturday :(

Last edited:
Back