Computer won't POST, dead CPU?

JagVR4

Weaksauce
Hey guys,
I built this computer about 9 months ago. It ran for about 6 to 7 months until one day I was in Windows and the thing froze up on me. I restarted and all that happened was my fans and everything else came on but I hear no beep to indicate POST and the screen stays blank and the green monitor power LED flashed on and off continuosly. My keyboard and mouse also wouldn't work (lights weren't coming on(I got a friends power supply and tried it but same turnout). I took the system down to just the video card, memory, and CPU but still no dice.

I RMA'd the mobo (Asus A8V Deluxe) and I just put the new one in tonight. I hooked everything up and turned it on. My monitor flashed on and displayed "digital", and then flashed "digital" several times like it was getting a signal. Finally it went back to what it did before I RMA'd the mobo which is the screen is just blank and the monitor power light is green and flashes on and off continuosly. I plugged in headphones to see if it was playing any post messages (where the voice tells you what is wrong) but it wasn't saying anything. The green LED light that is on the mothboard lights up green when I plug the power in and responds to the Power Switch...

Is it possible that I have a bad CPU? Or is something shorting out my mobo like the power supply? It appeared like the new mobo was going to work for a second when it said "digital" but then it went back to the same old same old.

I need some major help to get this figured out!
-Thanks again for any info/help!

-Jag

Systems Specs:
Athlon FX-55 Socket 939
Asus A8V Deluxe
2GB Corsair XMS Memory
WD SATA RAID 120GB HD

Sounds like a dead CPU. Try boating the board outside of the case to eliminate the possibilty of a short. If you have another PSU try it as well. I have had this happen several times and both were dead cpu's. Try these suggestions first. If you havent done so already, try clearing the C-mos.

Yeah, clearing the CMOS works a lot of the time.

Also, I don't know what sort of arrangment you have for your memory, but try moving it around in different positions, and running a single stick.

It is possible that it's a dead CPU, especially given you've RMA'd the board, though a dead board is much more likely.

Was the board repaired, or replaced? Sometimes you'll get a board back that seems to have been repaired, but the box will contain a note giving a reason why it was rejected, what was done, etc.

Best of luck!

-Caleb

First of all thanks for the replies!

The board came back to me in a plain white box and the CPU mount screws on the mobo were actually loose! I had to tighten them... I do not know if they tried to repair it or not, there wasn't any note in the box. It actually kind of sucks becauseI sent them back the original box with all of the cables and stuff and all I got back was a white box with a mothorboard inside.....

I'll try booting it outside of the case and see what happens. What kinda makes me think it is the board was that on the first boot with the RMA mobo the screen displayed "digital" like it was starting to get a signal. It blinked that several times and now it does what it did with the first mobo which is just a blank screen with the power LED green on the monitor blinking on and off.

Thanks for the replies!
-Jag

It could also be a bad power switch. Had this once before as well. I thought it was a bad board and it ended up being the power switch on the case. Check that as well when your booting outside of the case.

I just had one that sounds very similar -- I actually had it all the way down to just the CPU, no memory, video, etc. in the board -- powered up and still nothing except fans.

I was about ready to call it quits when I reset the CMOS at that point. Then I got beep codes.

I started adding back in until I got to my NIC -- which was perfectly fine only moments earlier -- everytime I put that in, PC wouldn't POST.

So, I guess my advice would be to not skip past the little steps -- check every piece.

Well I have reset the CMOS and that didn't help. I also pulled out of the components and started with memory and video but still no luck. Could the memory keep it from posting?

-Thanks!
-Jag

Try placing the reset switch on rthe power on leads on the board. This will allow you to test the power switch. A bad switch could still be the couse. This happened to me and I ended up returning 2 boards before I found the problem. It's worth a shot.

Back