Computer wont connect to internet? Onboard and PCI ethernet dont work.

darkflames

Gawd
About one week ago is when it all started. I go on the other computer in my house and it kept aquiring network connection then would disconnect instantly. And it kept doing this in a loop. I tried restarting the computer and it kept doing the same thing. So, i replaced the ethernet wire, and still does the same thing. So, i decided mabey the onboard lan was messed up so i installed an extra pci ethernet card. Installed drivers and when you plug that one into the ethernet, it does aquring network for a while then says limited or no connectivity. So i manually configured the ip and when it said i was connected, it does not connect to internet. So i thought mabey the place were the ethernet cord plugs into the wall was damaged. So i took a wireless usb adaptor installed drivers, and still does not work. I then reformatted the computer to a fresh instillation of Windows Xp Pro. Tried using the onboard and it does the same thing as it did before, aquiring network, disconnect, aquiring network, disconnect, etc. Then tried the pci card and it still did the same thing as before.

Does anyone know what mabey the problem?

It could be a problem with your ISP.

For about 2-3 weeks, Time Warner only supplied me with one or two IPs. Consider bringing in someone to inspect your line. It turns out I needed a new modem.

Take the router out of your network and try going directly from your modem to your PC. You may need to pull the power on the modem for about 30 seconds or so and the plug it back in, hook it up directly to your pc and see if you can get online.
If you can, then its probably something wrong with your router. Bad configuration for instance. If you have mac filtering turned on, turn it off release/renew LAN dhcp, clear the dhcp client's table and start from scratch. release/renew on the WAN as well for shits n giggles.
Try resetting your router to factory configurations. If you are running a cable connection make sure you power your modem down then back up when switching devices. If you have a DSL connection, do not reset your modem as you may clear the configurations to factory and you'll have to go back in and redo the configurations over.

If resetting or trying alternate settings with your router does not work, try a different router. If you can successfully pull an IP on each PC with a different router, then your router MAY be bad. Routers do go bad too, I've had to throw away many routers in the past.

Back