Computer won't boot

Calamarth

n00b
Today when I tried to boot my PC, it simply wouldn't start when I pressed the ON-button.
I know that the motherboard is getting power due to some of its LEDs still glowing. I tried to press and hold the ON-button for several seconds, but still no response. I also tried to completely remove power from the PC, then giving it power again, but still it wouldn't boot. I then tried to remove HDD's, internal and external, and other hardware one by one to see if it made any difference, but it still wouldn't boot.
I'm left with thinking that there must be something wrong with the connection between the ON-button and the motherboard, but I checked the tiny cables, and they seem to be fine.

It must also be noted that sabotage is not a possible cause, unless three little girls suddenly figured out how to cause such peculiar damage to my comp. =P

I have absolutely no idea what to do next, unless perhaps test the power supply to see if maybe it doesn't deliver enough juice to the motherboard in other for it to boot, but I have little faith in finding anything wrong with it, so I'm really hoping any of you guys will have any tips. :)

Honestly it sounds like a dead power supply.

+2

With previous experience, a similar problem was due to a bad PSU.

edit: If your computer doesn't load the Bios screen, load windows, or post anything at all on your montior, it's the psu for sure...

Alright guys, thanks for the replies. I'll have the PSU checked, and get back to you.I have to ask though, isn't it weird that LEDs still glow on the motherboard if the PSU is broken? I also have a watt-gauge connected directly to the PSU, and it also works just fine (it's on as long as the PSU gets power).

It is possible that the switch on the case has broken. Try using a small screwdriver to short the two pins on the motherboard that are connected to the case switch. Just touch both pins at the same time with something metal. The case switch is just an easy way to short those two pins.

I've also had a motherboard go bad but still show LED activity. Nothing else would work but the LEDs were shining brightly.

Good Luck

Back