Computer wont boot

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
I dont understand this, I jsut got down putting together this computer.

It has the following:
Intel 630 Processor
1 gig of Corsair memory PC3200
DFI 915P Lanparty motherboard
MSI 6800
160 Gig Samsung Hard drive

The only new part here is the mobo and processor. The memory, video card, power supply, and hard drive was working since this afternoon. When I boot it up, the heatsink starts spinning, everything seems like it is working, but there is no picture on my monitor. Any quick ideas? I brought the motherboard used of the for sale forum, he said it barely old and is in perfect condition.

you see theres a problem with that..you made a HUGE system change..you hard drive cries over this GREAT hardware change..
i would reccomend putting back everytinh to how it was...and then make a partiton with enough space to later install a copy of the OS..
install the os with the new hardware and then when u r able to boot up with the new hardware ..windows will look at your old patition as a another hard drive

I cant get a picture at all though. I mean when I hit the power button I cant even get a picture. Plus this hard drive doesnt have windows on it. It just has files on it. I cant even boot into bios because I get no picture.

Not only that but I guess I have these LED's and it seems like theres a sequence it goes through before it boots the system and when it gets done, all 4 LED's should be on. Well when I power on, all 4 are on, and they dont go through some sequence like it should. Also theres this Standby Power LED, and that is on. Any ideas.

Let's see...

No POST codes? (Beeps, I mean.) If not, perhaps these LEDs you speak of are telling you something.

Try referencing the motherboard's manual there (RTFM, in the future)

There could be a short... A standoff in the wrong place, something, somewhere the motherboard is making improper contact with the case.

You could have something improperly seated, like the CPU. That's a long shot though.

Really, RTFM re: the LEDs, and I wager that's a visual POST code and you can troubleshoot from there.

If you don't have the manual, head to DFI's website and look it up under support. I guarantee they have it in .pdf for you.

is the cpu in right i have done that before : ) just reseat everthing and make sure the video card is in right etc

aggpirate said:
is the cpu in right i have done that before : ) just reseat everthing and make sure the video card is in right etc

tried that

Seems like a instant 4 led light up is a critical error on Dfi mobos.

I also have that Standby mode LED lit. Can it be stuck in Standby mode someone, or something along those lines?

I reseated everything. Right now im going to do a overnight clear the CMOS thing. Just unplugged the CMOS battery and put the jumper on Clear CMOS and going to let it sit overnight. Only thing I can think of now is that since it is a used board, there are some settings still in it and with the new parts, it not booting.

I honestly dont think I screwed anything up in the installation. I mean, the only thing I really could of was the processor and I was pretty careful. The heatsink was being bitchy, but didnt do any damange. Like I said, everything boots up, just dont get any picture. Those 4 diag LEDS are instantly lit. Seems like also, when you go to the DFI-Street forums, alot of booting problems, is with the 4 LED problem. So I dont feel that bad anymore. Just kinda pissed off.

Dont think its the power supply either, since everything else boots up. 430 watts should be way more the plenty to boot up a computer....

Quick question though, should I have it still plugged into my power surge while resetting the CMOS overnight, or unplug the power supply from the power surge completely?

Well just woke up and plugged back in the CMOS battery and moved the jumper to normal and still a no go. This is really pissing me off.

The DFI-Street dude from the forums that is hired to by DFI to solve people problems on the DFI motherboards said it can be the power supply. Can this be right? Everything powers on, just no picture.

Back