Computer won't boot - tried everything, replaced everything

BEGONE

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 3, 2003
Messages
113
I have this old 2.2ghz P4 that I had for 3 years that died out suddenly. I replaced it with a new motherboard, but that didnt' work. What happens is when I press the power button the fan spins for a second and thats it. Nothing else turns on and nothing happens. The PSU is a new Antec Smartpower 400w. I tried using another power supply, a 250w from an old emachine, with nothing else plugged in, but the exact same thing happens.
So the next day I bought a brand new retail 2.4ghz P4, used it on the new motherboard, with new ram, new power supply, and guess what...same thing happens. I've tried different power outlets as well. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
 
Have you tried checking for something that may be shorting it out?

Are the stand offs in the right places? All the jumpers set correctly?

Maybe try reseting the CMOS...
 
The standoffs are fine, I've build many computers and these were installed correctly. Resetting the CMOS did nothing. The computer just shut off one day without touching anything inside the computer. I checked to make sure the motherboard wasn't touching any metal pieces of the case.
 
Probably not since you bought a new MB, Unless the battery is located off the MB.
 
looks like you submitted your post while I was typing mine.

But that is exactly what mine did, until I pulled out the battery and then
put it back. It just wasn't making connection.
 
Ok u replaced the mobo and psu..did u replace the mem or the vc, or reseat the vc?
try those..i have seen these symptoms with mem gone bad :(...wish ya best of luck man
i know u said u did but make sure u installed the cpu correctly and try a diff cpu
 
Back
Top