Computer will not turn on sometimes

d4nnn

[H]ard|Gawd
ok im sure everyone has experienced this problem:

when you shut down your computer and go to sleep. and when you wake up again and go to the computer to turn it on

it will not turn on!!!
so after 1093019230912309 tries of switching it on and off and pressing the power button, it finally turns on!!!

anyone konw the acutal cause, causes for this sort of problem?

thats all the detail i have for this

i suspect its the psu going bad, or the motherboard

Those are usually the cause of such problems. If you post some details about your computer, someone may recognize the problem as being specific to a part. System build always helps in solving these sorts of problems.

One of the first things you should do is check to make sure all of your cables are connected properly. Sometimes they come undone and need to be pushed back into place.

while you're inside the box, look for things that are out of the ordinary, such as visible damage to the mobo and things of that nature.

Hopefully it was a one time occurance, but if I were you, I'd be planning on purchasing some new parts in the near future.

One of my old computers (which I keep referencing because of the craploads of problems it experienced) also had an issue where you had to keep pressing the power button before it would finally turn on. I later replaced the PSU due to something completely unrelated (wasn't giving enough power to the new video card I bought) and suddenly the problem was cured. So I would try replacing the PSU first if you have the money or have an extra PSU lying around.

aliright thanks, just odnt have that many spares these days, so ill see what i can do

thansk again for your input , and i also woudl like to state that i really hate this problem

ironically, might i add:
well(today), i thought i'd take some ram out of my old sony vaio(p4 1.8ghz xp home) and install it in another as it has been sitting in my basement for months. ram swap didn't work so i put the ram back in,booted for 1st time in 11 months, and got long beeps(no memory)i open case up and 4got to clip the top notch
for ram, secure it, press pwr button, NOTHING!!! i looked throughout the case checking cables and all, nothing! checked pwr button, nothing! but, sometimes it would light up for 1 second then turn off. i do have an exa 24 pin psu, but would that work? i don't use the pc anymore but wouldn't want to just leave it.

Back