Computer will not sleep, wakes after a couple seconds.

MaxBurn

[H]ard|Gawd
After I put the computer to sleep it sometimes wakes up a few seconds later. This leads to my leaving it on in the bag, which leads to a dead battery sometimes.

Any way to log what is waking the computer up so I can fix this?

It's most frustrating.

This is a dell E5530 with win 7 pro x86.

You're running Windows I assume? Go in to your control panel, device manager, go through your devices' properties power settings and look for "Allow this device to wake the computer" and unckeck it for everything.

Just turn the laptop totally off or get a MBP instead, they don't have this sort of problems. ;)

Just turn the laptop totally off or get a MBP instead, they don't have this sort of problems. ;)

I've been doing that and it isn't going to be possible to convince work to shell out for a mac in a windows only office.

You're running Windows I assume? Go in to your control panel, device manager, go through your devices' properties power settings and look for "Allow this device to wake the computer" and unckeck it for everything.

I turned off everything I could find that had that option and it didn't change anything. Even disabled bluetooth.

Googled around a bit and found these two commands that look very helpful, saved them to a little bat file to run when it happens to help hunt things down.

Already I found that my last wake was samsung magician SSD software.

Code:
Echo off
echo --------------------------------------------------
Echo The last wake was caused by:
powercfg -lastwake
echo Current requests to interrupt sleep are:
powercfg -requests
pause

That looks like a very useful batch file. I had the same problem with my desktop pc, I solved it after many months by reinstalling Windows.

Googled around a bit and found these two commands that look very helpful, saved them to a little bat file to run when it happens to help hunt things down.

Already I found that my last wake was samsung magician SSD software.

Code:
Echo off
Echo The last wake was caused by:
powercfg -lastwake
echo Current requests to interrupt sleep are:
powercfg -requests
pause

Do note that you have to run this at an administrator level command prompt

That's true, I'm old school and disable UAC on my machines.

This was such a minor annoyance, I've been dealing with it for months and it's nice to finally have a handle on how to track this down.

Necro bump for new 8.1 sleep fix:

If I change my magnification to: Large in display settings, the system will no longer sleep or even turn the monitor off. Medium or small, it will sleep... weird. Anyone else can confirm this behavior or have a fix? I prefer large...

Edit: I realized that if you check "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" even if you only have one, You can set it to 150% or Large and it will sleep... Jeez.

Edit2: And I'm continuing to have weird sleep refusal issues with scaling above 100%... oh well, at least I know how to make it go away at 100%, but I need to do more testing.

Edit3: More and more I find when 8.1 wont sleep it's usually something to do with a usb device. In this case, it *seems* to have to do with the usb connection to my Monitor. I think installing the software that goes along with it for changing the monitor settings without the OSD will help solve the issue but I'm still unsure if scaling is related or not... seems intermittent and confusing.

Last edited:
Back