• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Computer will not boot - Constant beep.

Cyraxx

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
4,144
Hey everyone,

Just bought and built a brand new computer for a friend. I bought
Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 nForce 3 Ultra Athlon64/(FX) Skt939 DDR ATX Motherbaord
AMD 64 3500+ S939 CPU
Anyways, I got eveything, plugged them in (ATX Power+ the Four pin of course). I turn it on, and I get a constant long loud beep about every 4 seconds (they are spaced out by a bit), and it doesnt stop. Nothing appears on my monitors screen either. So with this, i didn't have much to go on, however, i decided to eliminate some things. I have done the following:
1) Tried a different power supply that I confirmed working.
2) Tried 2 different Ram Slots, followed by 2 different RAM Sticks that I confirmed working.
3) Tried a different video card that I confirmed working, and put the video card in my other computer - confirmed it was working.
So I've basically eliminated everything except the motherboard and processor correct? (Just for common sense, I was sure to make sure my CPU Fan was plugged in to the correct spot and working :) ). So I guess im asking - what else do you suggest I try, or return / exchange? Thanks for any help!
 
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

You can try that link...but it sounds to me like either the mobo or the CPU. If you have access to a known working spare (as you did the other parts), swap them around. Or try the CPU in another skt 939 system you know works...then that would pinpoint the problem.
 
Thanks for the link! I tried counting the beeps, but got up to 22 before I gave up heh. I guess its not a POST error? Anyhow, I found out that sometimes the power button doesnt work. So I tried jiggling the ATX power and then it would turn on. Obviously there must be something wrong with the mother board if you have to jiggle the ATX power. Eitherway, I plan to probably RMA both unless everyone here has some better suggestions.
 
Sounds like the board may be the culprit...unfortunately, there isn't much of an option if you can't test them individually...like you said, you'll have to RMA them both.
 
I had this problem. Your beep codes may mean something different, I'm not sure, but I had a continuous beep and for my bios it was supposed to mean a memory problem. Also the lights on my mobo's D-bracket thingy indicated a memory problem. It turned out my cpu (A64 3500+ on MSI K8N Neo2) had come unseated when my comp was moved around. Try re-seating the CPU, it worked for me right away. Make sure everything is seated and connected. Hope this helps.
 
nah i reseated it numerous times. The board is going out tommorow, and the CPU will go out shortly after. Oh well :-/
 
Back
Top