Tonight I started a hardware upgrade on my rig. This is something I have done a hundred times before. I was replacing my gtx680 with a 280X. I shut down my PC, pulled the power plug from the PSU, and swapped the cards. When I tried to reboot, I get a blank screen with an error suggesting no boot device found. I checked all cables and bios settings. Everything is fine. The bios can see the drive during post.
I then loaded my win7 DVD and attempted a repair. If I load a command prompt, I can see the drive and files, so I know the drive is not dead. I then start the windows install option and select Repair your computer. In the system recovery options screen my drive is not listed. So I select the recovery tools option and then select Startup Repair. It thinks for a few seconds and wants to reboot. When I view the diagnostics log and scroll to the bottom it says:
Root cause found:
The partition table does not have a valid System Partition.
Repair action: Partition table repair
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
When the system reboots, nothing is repaired and it still won't detect a boot drive
If I instead choose the Install Windows option and choose Custom installation, my drive is listed as follows: Disk 0 Partition 1, 248.5GB Total, 27.9GB Free, Primary
If I choose Drive options, my only options are to Delete or Format.
I CANNOT loose my drive data. Please help me understand what has happened here and what should I do next. I'm kinda freaking out here.
Please and thank you.
I then loaded my win7 DVD and attempted a repair. If I load a command prompt, I can see the drive and files, so I know the drive is not dead. I then start the windows install option and select Repair your computer. In the system recovery options screen my drive is not listed. So I select the recovery tools option and then select Startup Repair. It thinks for a few seconds and wants to reboot. When I view the diagnostics log and scroll to the bottom it says:
Root cause found:
The partition table does not have a valid System Partition.
Repair action: Partition table repair
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
When the system reboots, nothing is repaired and it still won't detect a boot drive
If I instead choose the Install Windows option and choose Custom installation, my drive is listed as follows: Disk 0 Partition 1, 248.5GB Total, 27.9GB Free, Primary
If I choose Drive options, my only options are to Delete or Format.
I CANNOT loose my drive data. Please help me understand what has happened here and what should I do next. I'm kinda freaking out here.
Please and thank you.