Computer Will boot from Floppy but not HD

Frozen8950

Limp Gawd
Hey guys I have a Win2k Server box that is giving me issues.
We coudlnt get it to boot at all and after a bunch of chkdsk and other programs I have finally gotten it to the point where i have copied boot.ini ntldr and NTDETECT.COM to a floppy.

When i start up the computer it dectects the hd and does nothing.. it just looks like the computer hangs..

When i start up the computer and boots from the floppy.. it instantly starts loading the OS.

so my question is how do i get it to sart booting from the HD again without the help of the floppy..

I got into recovery console and did FIXBOOT but that didnt work. Still freezes.. do i need to do FIXMBR as well?

Any other ideas?

If you copy those 2 files from the floppy to the root of your hard drive then problem solved.

Actually I copied those files from the root of the C drive..
its a very odd problem..

This is a clients server.. and they had 2 scsi hard drives.. both set to dynamic disks in win2k... and one was mirroring the other..
well the mirror crashed or something.. anyways.. i got 1 drive back to a working state.. except for the floppy..
there are 3 partitions on the drive.. C drive.. D drive.. and a 47gig drive which i assume is a dell diag partition since it is a server..

The 47gig drive is Part0 and the C drive is part1..

when i run fixmbr it fixes part0...
so i did a manual fixmbr device\hd0\part1 and that gave me an invalid part table..
so i restarted Recovery Console and did a fixboot C: and taht gave me the drive back but still wont boot

windows disk management reports C and D as simple voulmes and none of them are the primary partition..

I think the only way of solving this is to completly format and take those partitions away so they arnt simple volumes anymore..

hmm, that is weird.. but i am tired right now so that's prolly why nothing coming to mind...

Can you post up the contents of the boot.ini file ?

You are definitely correct about the C drive needing to be the 0 partition tho...

Back