Computer Upgrade vs Xbox 360
I am really close to purchasing an Xbox 360. I have an HDTV and am looking forward to using it. The thing is, I have limited funds and am torn.
We currently have a Nintendo Wii, and my computer is pretty good. (Athlon 64 3700, 2 GB ram, x1900xtx) But for the same amount of money I can upgrade my CPU (Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor) and get a 22 widescreen LCD monitor and still save $200 to pay bills. The main issue here is sports games. They are just so few and far between on PCs. I have to tell you overall, if Xbox 360 did not have all next-gen football and baseball games, Fable 2 (Fable was one of my favorite games ever made) and Mass Effect, I might not even look their way. In fact, there are no more baseball games being made for PC anymore, and for football, its Madden only. The thing is, Mass Effect and Fable 2 may end up making their way to PC anyways!
The main reason making me thinking of staying with the PC is Gothic 3, not to mention future games like the Witcher, Hellfire London, Spore, etc. Upgrading to a dual core CPU and playing most games that are starting to use multi-cores in widescreen is pure heaven for me. However, new rumors have surfaced saying the Gothic series may make to the 360. Here we go again, because playing that on an HDTV in my living room would be great. I still have the Wii to fall back on, and I heard that these sports games I love will be making their way to the Wii. But, the Wii is for my kids, and it is in their room, on a smaller TV.
I know its not true, but sometimes I think this is a grand scheme to get me to own everything and max out my cash flow.
Here is where I need your help friends. Based on everything you know about this situation, what is your advice?
I have listed some pros/cons for each setup. This list was even difficult because you never know what is coming out for what system.
Xbox 360
Sports Games
HDTV
Fable 2
Mass Effect
PC will start to show its age
Gothic series may come
PC Upgrade
Widescreen Gaming
Newer games using dual core
Fable 2 and Mass will most likely come to PC, but later
More free time to play computer as wife watches HDTV.
Hardware more reliable than the 360.
At 37, PCs feel more mature to me
Still have the Wii, but it must stay in kids room on standard TV.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
I am really close to purchasing an Xbox 360. I have an HDTV and am looking forward to using it. The thing is, I have limited funds and am torn.
We currently have a Nintendo Wii, and my computer is pretty good. (Athlon 64 3700, 2 GB ram, x1900xtx) But for the same amount of money I can upgrade my CPU (Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor) and get a 22 widescreen LCD monitor and still save $200 to pay bills. The main issue here is sports games. They are just so few and far between on PCs. I have to tell you overall, if Xbox 360 did not have all next-gen football and baseball games, Fable 2 (Fable was one of my favorite games ever made) and Mass Effect, I might not even look their way. In fact, there are no more baseball games being made for PC anymore, and for football, its Madden only. The thing is, Mass Effect and Fable 2 may end up making their way to PC anyways!
The main reason making me thinking of staying with the PC is Gothic 3, not to mention future games like the Witcher, Hellfire London, Spore, etc. Upgrading to a dual core CPU and playing most games that are starting to use multi-cores in widescreen is pure heaven for me. However, new rumors have surfaced saying the Gothic series may make to the 360. Here we go again, because playing that on an HDTV in my living room would be great. I still have the Wii to fall back on, and I heard that these sports games I love will be making their way to the Wii. But, the Wii is for my kids, and it is in their room, on a smaller TV.
I know its not true, but sometimes I think this is a grand scheme to get me to own everything and max out my cash flow.
Here is where I need your help friends. Based on everything you know about this situation, what is your advice?
I have listed some pros/cons for each setup. This list was even difficult because you never know what is coming out for what system.
Xbox 360
Sports Games
HDTV
Fable 2
Mass Effect
PC will start to show its age
Gothic series may come
PC Upgrade
Widescreen Gaming
Newer games using dual core
Fable 2 and Mass will most likely come to PC, but later
More free time to play computer as wife watches HDTV.
Hardware more reliable than the 360.
At 37, PCs feel more mature to me
Still have the Wii, but it must stay in kids room on standard TV.
Any help is greatly appreciated.