• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Computer upgrade time -- have a graphics dilemma

saqdeez

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 23, 2003
Messages
208
I want to upgrade my processor and ram, will have to get a new MOBO also..but i have a fairly new video card. So the question is, do i go AGP or PCI-E mobo?? if i do PCI-E then i need a new video card right? I highlighted things I think I may need to upgrade. Your thoughts will be taken seriously, I can spend up to $700 if i need to. Thanks!! :D


Athlon xp 2800
shuttle mobo
1 gig pc2800 ram
6800gt AGP video card
creative audigy audio card
80gb EIDE hd
 
Buy an NF3 Ultra board (the new DFI one is nice), then buy a 939 A64 (Venice 3000+ is the choice of overclockers lately), stick on a nice heatsink like a Thermalright XP-120. Your ram straight up sucks lol. Something TCCD would be great for overclocking (like OCZ 2x512MB Platinum [does 2-2-2-5 @ 2.75v]) and get a nice big 300GB SATA drive. Use your 6800GT until you feel it's shit, at that point you can change only the motherboard and video card while keeping the CPU/HDD/RAM. Good luck.
 
This is the same problem that I am currently having. I got a new vid card just last year, but since i want to move to a new mobo, i cant see not doing the switch to PCIe as well, but then i need a new vid card even tho i wasnt really looking for one. Pretty much yes, you need to get a new vid card, but then again, PCIe will hopefully be around for a long time and you wont need to do this for a few more years. Go with the whole shebang if you gotta upgrade the mobo now...
 
if i get a 939 and stay with AGP...then i cant get PCIE in the future without getting a new MOBO right?
 
This is going to be the answer for a lot of people that were wanting to upgrade but wouldn’t because of the investment they have in their AGP card. Thanks for the info.
 
That's a very promising looking board, but I wonder how stability will be compared to an NF3 or NF4? Anyone know as of yet or have ideas?
 
Back
Top