Computer upgrade malfunction thread

the_servicer

2[H]4U
Today I tried to upgrade to an SSD and replace RAM (did it all at once). Now when I turn the computer on there is no video and the fans accelerate to full speed. Maybe I used incompatible RAM?
Edit: I used 1.35 V memory, thinking it would be compatible with 1.5 V. Is it possible I damaged both the memory and the rest of the computer?

Last edited:
1.35v RAM is usually fine at 1.5v.

I would recheck all your connections.

Make sure the RAM is seated properly.

I would also try clearing the CMOS (BIOS reset) as the board may not have picked up the settings from the old RAM and may be trying to use settings from the old RAM which will at the very least cause problems.

Thank you. Just to be clear, I have not attempted to combine old memory with new memory. I don't think that's what you're saying anyway. I just put the old RAM back in and the whole system seems to be working fine along with the new SSD. The new RAM came second-hand from someone in this forum. Though I don't have nearly enough evidence to conclude the new RAM is defective, I think I will proceed on that assumption. Eventually I will likely try again with a completely different set of RAM. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Thank you. Just to be clear, I have not attempted to combine old memory with new memory. I don't think that's what you're saying anyway. I just put the old RAM back in and the whole system seems to be working fine along with the new SSD. The new RAM came second-hand from someone in this forum. Though I don't have nearly enough evidence to conclude the new RAM is defective, I think I will proceed on that assumption. Eventually I will likely try again with a completely different set of RAM. Thanks again for your suggestions.

You're welcome.

I wouldn't just assume that the "new" RAM is faulty. My guess is that you need to clear the CMOS so it can pick up the settings for the new RAM. There should be a jumper or possibly a bottom on the motherboard to clear the CMOS.

What motherboard do you have?

Back