Computer turns on, but no video signal

Ghostface Killah

Limp Gawd
This problem happened to me a while ago when I built the new computer, and I realized it was my psu since it did not have a 24 pin or a 4 pin power connector.

But now after installing a new heatsink the same problem came back.

When I was installing the heatsink I needed to remove the mother board to install it. But when I plugged everything back in, I made sure everything was actually plugged in; including the 4 pin and 24 pin psu connector.

I turn on the computer, I see my fans spinning, my hard drive is spinning, my two DVD drives work, but on my monitor it says "No Video Input"

I reseated the video card, I made sure everything was plugged in correctly.
My computer worked find before this :( What could be the problem?

Thanks

how would I be able to decide which thing is causing the problem. I think I narrowed it down to the PSU, Processor, and/or the mother board

I had the same thing happen awhile ago. It helps a LOT if you have a PC speaker and can listen for the beep codes. Look up the codes somewhere online. If you don't have a PC Speaker, hopefully you have some spare parts around. If not......you've got to just start buying stuff and replacing to see what works.

In my case, I had to replace the mobo and video card, but not the CPU. Easiest thing would be to find a crappy video card somewhere and check it out before buying anything. Very hard to tell without the beeps which one is it.

I doubt it's the powersupply though. Try unplugging some optional components (even harddrives) and see if it'll give you video signal.

Gibo said:
I had the same thing happen awhile ago. It helps a LOT if you have a PC speaker and can listen for the beep codes. Look up the codes somewhere online. If you don't have a PC Speaker, hopefully you have some spare parts around. If not......you've got to just start buying stuff and replacing to see what works.

In my case, I had to replace the mobo and video card, but not the CPU. Easiest thing would be to find a crappy video card somewhere and check it out before buying anything. Very hard to tell without the beeps which one is it.

I doubt it's the powersupply though. Try unplugging some optional components (even harddrives) and see if it'll give you video signal.
I get no beeps when I turn on the computer.

Make sure your memory is in the Corrected slots. Just fixed a computer last night because the person installed his memory in slots 1 and 2 instead of 1 and 3....If you are using 1 stick, place it in slot 3.....BTW it would help to know what type of MB you have...

Also what PSU do you have, you need to give HD descriptions...

What mobo is it? Should have at least 1 regular PCI slot that you could try out an old PCI video card with. At this point, if you get no beep codes, and it sounds like the PC is booting/spinning up, my guess would be the vid card is toast.

MSI K8N SLI Platinum
Two sticks of Corsair XMS 512 DDR400 3200 ram
Seagate 160 GB Barracuda
Nvidia Geforce 6600GT Extreme edition PCI-E
Antec True Power 550 Watts

I'm going to try it again tonight with a brand new PSU. I'm going to return the old one and get a new one.

Take the mobo out and put it back in. Make sure it's not grounding out on anything. make sure the ram, cpu, and vid card are seated in properly. Also try to run it with barebones.

I tried turning it on with the Video card + ram only and it still would not come on./
I also installed the new PSu today and the problem still exists.... arg this is making me mad. Any other suggestions please

Ghostface Killah said:
I tried turning it on with the Video card + ram only and it still would not come on./
I also installed the new PSu today and the problem still exists.... arg this is making me mad. Any other suggestions please

Try a different video card as suggested before.

I would check to make sure you don't have a grounding issue. The no beep thing worries me...

microcosm13 said:
I would check to make sure you don't have a grounding issue. The no beep thing worries me...

I am pretty sure that it is not a grounding issue. I made sure all the spacers were secured etc.

Do my speakers need to be plugged in to hear the beeps, or do they come from the mobo?

^^ the SPK we are all talking about is one inside your case that connects to your mobo via a 4 wire plug. It'll be marked Speaker Spk etc. The wires are usually red and black. If this is not hooked up, then your mobo might be telling you the prob, but you can't hear it. Check that, and let us know what the beeps are, alot of us speak bios :D

This happend to me twice. It is either a dead video card or a dead motherboard. I didn't get any beeps with either, but when it was a dead motherboard the Hard Drive Activity light was stuck on, and when it was a dead videocard the Light was off. Dont know if that will help you or not.

When i built my setup recently i had the same problem of no video. Could hear everything else loading/setting up, but nothing on screen.
On mine i had put the card in the PCI-E 1 slot but didn't show video for some reason. I then put the card in the PCI-E2 slot and video worked (try both slots if needed?). So far i've had no problems. Probably isn't the problem with yours but that's what worked for me....(that is if you have 2 PCI-E slots i mean and if you haven't already tried both slots already)

I checked my spker connecters and it still no beeps. I am leaning towards the dead mother board. But.... I think there still might be a chance that the problem lies within the PSU or I got another bad PSU.... it sucks that there is no way to CHECK ARG THE PROBLEM

If your not beeping it could indeed be either/or. You don't know anyone who has a supply you could borrow to check?

Back