Computer turns itself on

Seanmounce

Limp Gawd
The only help I could find googling this was to change the BIOS power options to not boot on call or ring. All of the booting options are disabled in power management in the BIOS. I can't really think of what else is happening. All I know is when I turn off my computer, when I come back it is usually on. Doesn't always turn back on right away, it has turned back on a few seconds after I shutdown and sometimes it takes a few hours. Either way its a mystery, and is really annoying. Any ideas would be great guys, thanks.

See if you have a "Wake on Lan" option in the bios and disable that.

Other than that, do you have kids?

If not, call the Ghostbusters!!!

thats the first thing I checked, There is no one else here and the Ghostbusters don't have a branch in Canada. Its the weirdest problem, I've also tried disconnecting the LAN and disconnecting to make sure the power switch wasn't bad.

I'm thinking maybe a trojan or some sort of virus, but I didn't think a virus could turn my computer on from being shutdown.

It's definitely not software related. I would look into the Power switch cables connecting your case to the motherboard. Try rotating them around, same with the reset switch. You could also try another PSU. Check the BIOS revisions for your motherboard too. I had a problem with an Intel board, where anytime I'd turn the power strip on, my computer would turn on...regardless of BIOS settings. Intel's solution was to flash backwards to a previous BIOS version, and that solved my problem.

Seanmounce said:
I'm thinking maybe a trojan or some sort of virus, but I didn't think a virus could turn my computer on from being shutdown.

Yes, they can.

lol. What kind of a virus can turn a computer on if its off, unless it is a virus that some how screws with the chips on the board. Seriously that would really surprise me if that were the problem.

I know you changed the WOL, do not wake up on ring etc, but what about options that wake up at a certain time of day. My bios has options for turning itself on at set times...

What about key combinations, or mouse button power on. Do you have any pets?

EDIT: TYPOS!

I have sat and watched the thing turn on, nothing is doing anything. Right now i'm flipping the switch on the back of the PSU. I've emailed ECS about it, I don't know if they will reply. I've played with the actuall switch with no luck.

Check the power switch mechanism, make sure everything is properly seated and that the cables arn't touching anywhere. Also, as noted make sure that the input devices are disconnected, or that you have double checked any wake on keyboard/wake on mouse functionality. Some systems can turn on just from touching any key on the keyboard.

It could be a bad PSU its a brand new Ultra X2 and I don't remember noticing the problem before. I just didn't think it could cause it to turn on, Once again all wake options are disabled and no input devices are touched when it turns on.

Back