Computer Troubleshooting

lessthanjakejohn

Limp Gawd
Hi

Recently my computer has had an interesting but inconvenient set of problems.

-After several hours of computer being on my network adapter (built in or pci card) will stop working.

-Upon restart the computer will not get through the BIOS and will restart and continue in that loop. Say the usual bios screen takes 10 seconds. It will get through about 9 seconds of it. It will not boot a cd during this process.

-After several hours or sometimes a day, the computer will continue to work normally until 6-24 hours later when the network adapter fails again.

I have tried reapplying the heatsink and using only 1 of my two memory modules. This seems to tell me it's not the memory unless both sticks are bad.

I have a gigabyte p35 mobo and an e6750 with 2 sticks of DDR2 ram. I have the latest version of the BIOS.

I have overclocked the computer to around 3.4ghz with adequate cooling before, but it has been on stock settings for a while before this happened. My computer was also moved a day before this problem showed up. I have a tuniq tower 120 so I'm guessing the mobo may be fried somewhere, but I want to get another opinion before I upgrade.

full system specs please, including model #'s (for RAM and PSU, etc).

Run memtest overnight, preferably 24 hours, and report back.

Run Prime95 smallFFTs test for as long as possible and report results... note temps during priming, using CoreTemp or RealTemp.

Run Furmark to test your GPU. Note gpu temps as well.

Thanks for your help.

Here are the specs. I'll run the diagnostics today and tomorrow and see what I find.

Video:
GA EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR 8800GTS R
Processor:
INTEL Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz FSB1333MHz 4M LGA775 Retail BX80557E6750
Mobo:
MB GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R 775 R
PSU:
PC POWER and COOLING Silencer 750 Quad (Copper) S75Q Power Supply
Cooling:
|TUNIQ K8&P4|Tower 120 RTL
Memory:
1Gx2|PATRIOT 240P PDC22G6400LLK

SAMSUNG HD501LJ 500GB SATA 7200 RPM 16MB Hard Drive Bulk

Last edited:
Prime95 ran for 22 hours

temp high of 49/45

I'll do a memtest tonight.

A guy on another forum was suggesting it may be the PSU.

I didn't have to shutdown all day though. Maybe I'll just keep prime95 running all the time ha

SmallFFTs only stresses the CPU. If memtest passes 24+hrs without any failures, run Prime95 blend test to stress both RAM and CPU at the same time.

Back