Computer trouble, nothing on screen

Clowning

Limp Gawd
Ok so I upgraded from Intel to Amd. I bought a new Shuttle AN35N Ultra and a used Athlon XP 2500+ barton processor. And I used the other hardware from my old computer. When I turn the computer on, fan and everything works but my monitor says it's going to power saving mode.

Here are the specs:
Athlon xp 2500+ barton
Shuttle AN35N Ultra motherboard
1x512mb pc2700 ram, 1x256mb pc 2100
Geforce 5700le PCI 128mb.
250w power supply
40gig hd

Non of the things should be faulty except for the processor because other things still work on my old computer.

What I have tried:
Tried to boot with just ram and processor installed.
Using only 1 ram at a time and used different slots.

Reseat the video card

Try another power supply (250w is tiny)

Pull the motherboard out of the case and try to get it to boot.

hopefully you've got a powersupply around.
first thing though, try it all outside of the case on a desk or something.

If the motherboard has built in video, I would try to boot without the PCI graphics card, just the built in video and then disable onboard video. Also have you checked to see if there is a bios update to the shuttle?

I know 250w is too little but it should handle that rig.
I have tried different pci slots. The video card is working because it still works on my old computer. And how do I reset a video card?
There is no built-in video and since I can't even get to BIOS, I can't update it.

I really hate this, I suspect it can be my power supply, ram, or processor.

re-seat it, meaning pull it out and put it back in the slot, just to verify its done securely.

And when you say the p/s worked in your old computer, what type rig was this?

Aaron_ATX said:
re-seat it, meaning pull it out and put it back in the slot, just to verify its done securely.

And when you say the p/s worked in your old computer, what type rig was this?
The rig is made by HP. 2.4ghz celeron, same ram as i mentioned above, 40 gig hd, fx5700le. So basically, the only thing new is the mobo and processor.

Clowning said:
I know 250w is too little but it should handle that rig.
I have tried different pci slots. The video card is working because it still works on my old computer. And how do I reset a video card?
There is no built-in video and since I can't even get to BIOS, I can't update it.

I really hate this, I suspect it can be my power supply, ram, or processor.
Yes good suspects. Since a new motherboard shouldn't cause it to go into power-saver mode out-of-the-box.

The cpu isn't new, so suspect.

Even though your memory worked on the older mobo, it might be incompatible with the new board, so suspect. And you tried the different speeds/ sticks seperately.

Psu, suspect.

Is the CPU Fan connected to the motherboard header, if not it may cause the boot to halt immediately.

Re-check the installation of your CPU HS/fan, done incorrectly it may cause a system overheat and the automatic protection system may shut it down.

The other posters already mentioned testing your mobo out of the case to check for shorting; sometimes it is a mounting post that touches the back of the motherboard etc. etc. and the motherboard grounds out to the metal mounting plate. Since you just built it, it's also possible that a loose screw or what not may be floating around . It happens.

gl :)

Papa-Ming said:
Yes good suspects. Since a new motherboard shouldn't cause it to go into power-saver mode out-of-the-box.

The cpu isn't new, so suspect.

Even though your memory worked on the older mobo, it might be incompatible with the new board, so suspect. And you tried the different speeds/ sticks seperately.

Psu, suspect.

Is the CPU Fan connected to the motherboard header, if not it may cause the boot to halt immediately.

Re-check the installation of your CPU HS/fan, done incorrectly it may cause a system overheat and the automatic protection system may shut it down.

The other posters already mentioned testing your mobo out of the case to check for shorting; sometimes it is a mounting post that touches the back of the motherboard etc. etc. and the motherboard grounds out to the metal mounting plate. Since you just built it, it's also possible that a loose screw or what not may be floating around . It happens.

gl :)

The CPU fan is connected to the plug which is for fans only (next to the socket).

What does it mean to test my mobo for shorting? Does mounting the mobo incorrectly cause problems?

Now I just tried booting up the comp with nothing installed on the mobo cept for the video card, not even the CPU. And it still does the same thing.

Clowning said:
What does it mean to test my mobo for shorting? Does mounting the mobo incorrectly cause problems?
Did you install the motherboard on little metal shunts to keep it off the surface?

If the motherboard is directly touching the case, it isn't going to work. That's why you put in these little pieces of metal into the case, and then screw your motherboard into that. It stops the motherboard being electrically shorted.

lorcani said:
Did you install the motherboard on little metal shunts to keep it off the surface?

If the motherboard is directly touching the case, it isn't going to work. That's why you put in these little pieces of metal into the case, and then screw your motherboard into that. It stops the motherboard being electrically shorted.
Yea I used those pins.

Clowning said:
The CPU fan is connected to the plug which is for fans only (next to the socket).

Now I just tried booting up the comp with nothing installed on the mobo cept for the video card, not even the CPU. And it still does the same thing.

You need a CPU to start up. Make sure the CPU fan is plugged into the "CPU FAN" header and not a different "FAN ONLY" header. Some motherboards will not boot up if there is not a signal from the CPU FAN header.

Otherwise, strip it down to the bare essentials, i.e. motherboard, CPU, RAM and video and see if it boots up that way. If not, there is a good possibility that the Mobo or CPU is dead. Usually you can boot up with bad memory, just get errors.

Also, make sure that the motherboards "CLEAR CMOS" jumper is not set to clear CMOS, otherwise the thing won't boot.

Luck! :D

Back