• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Computer to TV video output

Joined
Oct 30, 2009
Messages
24
I currently have an HD 5850, which has DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort outputs. I would like to output my display to an older TV I have. It only has component, s-video and composite inputs. Is it possible to do this? What would be the cheapest combination of cables/converters to accomplish this?

There's a lot of confusing discussion on this so I got kind of confused. Any help is appreciated.
 
Last edited:
If your ATI card can switch to component output, all you would need is a DVI->VGA adapter (should be supplied with the card), and then this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1JKHR659BMB6AZB2R7HD

I know a number of ATI cards support component out, but I don't know if the 5850 does.

EDIT: according to this thread, you should check under CCC to see if there is an entry called Component Video Properties.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33837571

If you enable this, and select the resolution, it should output a component analog signal over the VGA signal wires, and that can be converted with the cable I linked.

If you don't have support for component-out, you will need an active converter, and that'll cost you more.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to go over those threads. Hopefully the 5850 can output component signal.
 
Ok, I looked but I can't see anything in the CCC that enables component output... do the cables have to be connected first or something? Or maybe I'm just missing it somehow. I really find it hard to believe that the 5850 isn't able to do this, when previous cards can...
 
Back
Top