• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Computer Testing Software

sw001

n00b
Joined
Sep 5, 2006
Messages
52
I'm curious what people use to test and burn in new computers? I have 3dmark06, but right now the computer is having problems with it (computer resets after about an hour of looping). What else is there? I purchased 3dmark05, but apparently the professional version will not allow for looping, making it pretty worthless. Are there bugs with 3dmark06 that could cause issues beyond system stability (w/ latest drivers)?

I've tried running Prime95 and SuperPI, but I'm not sure how long I should run these, nor how safe they are. Any recommendations?

Also, what app should I use to monitor CPU tempertures? I tried Core Temp (http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=137) and it reported around 70 degrees Celsius for each core under load with Prime95 and SuperPI. I need to figure out if that is to high now.

Thanks.
 
digital_exhaust said:

I think if one program was reporting false temps, wouldn't all the others? Software thermometers aren't that good. If you really would like to try another, try SpeedFan.

Testing CPU, I use Toast or SuperPI. Usually I run them for about 24 Hours. There safe as long as the cooling system is intact. For memory, I use Memtest86+. Its a bootable disk, so you have to burn it and boot from it. For benchmarking/GPU testing, I use the 3D Mark's
 
If your machine is rebooting after an hour only running 3DM06, then I would suspect something is wrong.

Have you tried any actual gaming on it? I'd try that and see if you get reboots.

Here's a link for CPU testing. It's not exactly what we do here at [H], but it will work - http://sp2004.fre3.com

Given your current instability, I'd be looking at your system RAM and video card. As someone stated, Memtest86+ is a good system RAM integrity checker, although it won't detect all problems.
 
Thank you, I'll look into these. I'm definitely concerned the system has some stability issues. I did play Dawn of War and Empires at War for about an hour each without issues. Of course, those games won't really stress a computer like a Crysis eventually will, or possibly Oblivion.
 
Oblivion is probably the best real world stress testing you can do right now.

3DMark06 + SP2004 (one for each CPU) + HD Tach, and run them all concurrently. If that doesn't stress your computer... :D
 
Back
Top