Computer taking forever to boot

Nebell

2[H]4U
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but here we go.
I've had this issue since I bought my computer, some 16 months ago. It doesn't bother me that much as I put it to sleep usually and rarely restart.
But it's taking forever to boot.

I'm not sure, but I think it's not Windows (11) issue. Once I get to login screen and get in it's pretty snappy and quickly loads all apps.
But going from restart to Windows starting to load can take a minute. A bit weird for a PC with 13900k, 32gb ddr5 and a fast 7000mb M.2 drive. The motherboard is Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Formula.

Any ideas?

My first guess is its related to the memory. Auto settings? If so might help to set the correct speed manually.

yeah sounds like the ram training. there may be an option in the bios to lower how thorough it is.

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but here we go.
I've had this issue since I bought my computer, some 16 months ago. It doesn't bother me that much as I put it to sleep usually and rarely restart.
But it's taking forever to boot.

I'm not sure, but I think it's not Windows (11) issue. Once I get to login screen and get in it's pretty snappy and quickly loads all apps.
But going from restart to Windows starting to load can take a minute. A bit weird for a PC with 13900k, 32gb ddr5 and a fast 7000mb M.2 drive. The motherboard is Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Formula.

Any ideas?

Its a DDR5 rig, thats about what you get. My 13700K takes about 45 seconds from cold start to desktop, my Ryzen system is like 3-4 minutes because I make it fully train the memory controller every time otherwise it don't act right.

I ran memtest86 during the night. 13 runs and 0 errors. So it can't be the ram. Also, fast boot is on.
I guess it's just a ddr5 thing. I will try and time it later today.

I ran memtest86 during the night. 13 runs and 0 errors. So it can't be the ram. Also, fast boot is on.
I guess it's just a ddr5 thing. I will try and time it later today.
It's not that the RAM is bad - it's that the training system to figure out speeds/timings takes forever on them.

yup. as was suggested, manually set your speed/timings and lower the training time(if bios has it).

my Ryzen system is like 3-4 minutes because I make it fully train the memory controller every time otherwise it don't act right.
find the MCR (memory context restore) on your bios, then enable it.

I've been using ryzen 7500F for 3 weeks and my tuned settings (7800mhz, timings 36-46-46 trfc 480 1T) boot from cold to windows 8~9 seconds only.
Board is ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2

find the MCR (memory context restore) on your bios, then enable it.

I've been using ryzen 7500F for 3 weeks and my tuned settings (7800mhz, timings 36-46-46 trfc 480 1T) boot from cold to windows 8~9 seconds only.
Board is ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2

You apparently won the silicon lottery then because most 13900KS binned chips won’t do that. My rig won’t even run auto JEDEC 4800 setting stable with mcr on. Actually half the time it will blue screen just loading windows. I have to let it train fully every time, apparently this is some kind of Asus bug.

Last edited:
You apparently won the silicon lottery then because most 13900KS binned chips won’t do that. My rig won’t even run auto JEDEC 4800 setting stable with mcr on. Actually half the time it will blue screen just loading windows. I have to let it train fully every time, apparently this is some kind of Asus bug.
Some Asus boards take a long time, especially with certain memory modules. Z490/Z590 variants were particularly bad, never had a bios update that really fixed it.

Back