Computer SUPER loud, NB @ 7200RPM

Dark2Light2

Weaksauce
My computer is oh so loud, I have one 120mm fan in the back, and two 80mms. I can't even go to sleep with it on because it's so loud, so then I check my fan speeds one day, and find that everything but the North Bridge runs at around 3000 RPM

My freaking north bridge runs at like 7200.

I have a msi motherboard, so I tried the digicell thing to lower the speed, I lowered it to 3000, hit apply, and nothing happens. There is no options in the bios to change the speed either.

I tried Smartfan to no avail either.

I have a sad feeling that my computer is hitting the shitter super fast, not only does it do this, my computer turns back on after I turn it off. Wake on lan is disabled as well.

I end up having to just turn off the psu switch, it's very aggravating.

Have you tried remounting the NB heatsink with some fresh thermal paste?

No I haven't, i'll do that if you think it will help.

Clean off the old with rubbing alcohol?

Dark2Light2 said:
No I haven't, i'll do that if you think it will help.

Clean off the old with rubbing alcohol?

Yes sir, rubbing alcohol and a lint-free cloth. I think that because of contact issues it could be trying desperately to cool the NB down. It's worth a try.

Would you mind listing your system specs?

you could always try buying a new NB heatsink/fan. i had a nf4 dfi board and the fan drove me freaking nuts, so i replaced it with a large passive heatsink and made sure i had good air circulation in my case. voila! no sound!

Just cleaned all the dirt and reseated/cleaned/fresh thermal compound and its still pretty loud.

It did slow down to 6750 though.

Dark2Light2 said:
Just cleaned all the dirt and reseated/cleaned/fresh thermal compound and its still pretty loud.

It did slow down to 6750 though.

It slowed? Was it making proper contact?

It was before I thought, well anyways, its not as loud, but I still can't sleep with it on.

Im thinking its just the northbridge in general.

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum

Dark2Light2 said:
It was before I thought, well anyways, its not as loud, but I still can't sleep with it on.

Im thinking its just the northbridge in general.

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum

well, depending on how the airflow is in your system you could just pick up a passive chipset cooler and mod it to fit your board (usually they don't clear the vid card). Otherwise, there is the more expensive but amazing Forcetake cooler from JingTing.

Does your board have steting in the BIOS for fan speeds? On my DFI i can set speeds in the BIOS for the NB fan, i set a speed i wnat it to turn off at (like 30C) and a temp i want it on a full speed (50C) and the board just adjust the fan speed depending on the temp. Most the time its rarely above 3500rpm, even on the 36C days we were having last week.

Back