computer suddenly freezing

StRiFeXD

Weaksauce
My computer is suddenly having fits and freezing out of nowhere. I'll just be browsing the internet or word processing and suddenly, the screen will be stuck, frozen, can't move cursor or anything. The machine's been running with no problems for quite awhile, and this suddenly happened. I haven't installed anything new recently. What would be the first step to troubleshooting this?? System logs don't show anything relevant..

Last edited:
cpu voltage is about 1.38V idl'ing around 50C.. usually it's ideling around 44C but it's warm today. I dust out my case about once a month.. so it's not exceptionally dusty either :(

Sounds like a case of summer overclock. With the increased ambient temp the overclock can become unstable because of heat. Drop down 100-200mhz and see if that clears it up. I'm not an intel expert or anything, but isn't 1.38v kind of high for anything but top tier air cooling or water?

TJmax is something like 95C so as long as you are under that you are fine. Also, run intel burn test.

id have to agree with the downclocks.. even though all my systems are stable at their overclocks.. once summer hits here i have to put everything back to almost stock clocks.. (note: i said almost :p ) 100F+ summers suck when it comes to overclocking.. :(

alrite, I will give that a try. Thanks for the input =] You guys are probably right, it hasn't frozen once since evening to late late at night, probably because it's cooled down.

Back