Computer still restarting...

Bennyb

2[H]4U
After extensive testing I have been unable to solve the restarting issue I am faced with. After 30mins to 2 hours of gaming my computer will just restart. Whenever I get back into windows I get the same "Windows has recieved a serious error" message, saying that it was a conflict with a device driver or something.

Previously I was told that this was probably an issue with my power hungry X800XL which does not have a power connector. I was skeptical at first because I put alot of money into my Antec Neo Power 480 watt powersupply, because I had had powersupply issues in the past. I decided to try unplugging things to see if it could possibly be the powersupplies issue. After Unplugging all of my case fans, and 2 of my harddrives I STILL had restarts.

When I was poking around, I noticed that 2 of the fan connectors on my Motherboard DONT work. The supply enough power to start the fan when the computer turns on, but the fan quickly dies out... Could this be a power supply issue still? Could it Be a motherboard issue? Or perhaps it is simply a video card issue.

I have ruled out the ram because it worked perfictly fine in a system before, and is currently running at a deceint voltage.

Please help, I'd like to fix this problem before college next year :(

Heat is the beast here. After 30minutes to 2 hours your components are nice and toasty and it causes the computer to reboot to avoid meltdown.

Do you have the 3 pin fan header to 4pin molex converters? Try running your fans off that. Your mobo could just have bad headers.

I just hope to God you're not saying your CPU fan was spinning up and stopping, and you continued to game. :eek:

Also, posting your system specs may be helpful if the pin adapter idea doesn't help.

No, its not the CPU fan. My CPU usually runs at about 40 C Full Load, and has been getting up to 43 C now that it is starting to get much warmer here. My system is not overheating yet somehow the computer believes it needs a restart...

Could reinstalling Windows solve this problem?

Oh and system specs are in my sig.

Also, incase this means anything, I have never seen any artifacting, nor has the crash ever occured during a Benchmark (3dmark, aquamark)... It only seems to happen when the same game has been played for a large chunk of time.

In that case, run memtest overnight and see if it runs without errors. You might have bad RAM.
http://www.memtest86.com/

Are you sure your video card isn't overheating?

Do this:

Right click on My Computer > Properties

Go to Advanced and then click on Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Make sure Automatically restart is UNchecked.

If it is checked, you may be getting BSODs but not seeing them.

O, it was checked, so i'm gonna uncheck it and see if that helps.

Alright... yes, it was a BSOD. After I unchecked it the comp ran fine for about 3 hours. Today I come home, and It took me 4 tries to get into windows without getting a BSOD 5 seconds after it loaded... Something is really wrong with this thing but I have no idea whats going on.

I get the physical memory dump stuff...
:confused:

Gonna try memtest tonight.

Tried Memtest... It got an Unexpected error at 80% and the test halted... Bad ram? The ram is the only thing besides the harddrives that I am reusing from my old system which had its motherboard fried....

It looks like bad RAM. You can try running memtest again, most likely it will lock up again. If it does, get new RAM and your problem should be fixed.

Back