Computer still not working right!

Vtecaddict

Limp Gawd
I still cant get my setup working right. I've had it for about a month. I've been using it for school/AIM/web browsing and playing warcraft. Now once in awhile it'll have really weird errors or it'll suddenly just freeze up. Today i burned a cd for the first time and it burned fine. Then i tried to play a cd in the drive and the computer frooze. I restarted it and now it is not detected my cd/dvd drive. I cant find it in the bios either so now I guess i dont have a cd/dvd drive. Windows media player seems to be freezeing the computer often when i use it so that may be one of the problems. Sometimes when i restart it says that there has been an error would i like to replace the system back to how it was b4 the error and thats what i usually hit. So now not only is it not running right i dont have a disk drive. It still is detecting the floppy.

epox n4
venice 3200+
800xl video card
NEC burner
Maxtor 16mb cache hard drive
Antec 450watt smartpower 2.0

Hmm well i unplugged the power for the drive and replugged it back in and it works again. I am still having errors and freezes ups maybe... once a day tops. I'll try to post up exactley what happens and what they are next time they happen.

Anyone have any ideas, really the only thing i can say is it's not booting up right. when it boots up it says that "windows did not start right... would you like to restart in safe mode or back to how it was the last time it started correctly."

:confused:

For a start check your temps and voltages are correct.

Then download and run Memtest86.
This tests for memory errors.

If you get no errors after three full loops then go onto Prime95.
Can you run it for between 8 & 24 hours without an error.
This stresses the CPU.

Once you know its Prime stable then try running a loop ortwo of 3dMark on top of Prime.
This stresses both the vid card and the PSU.

If you can pass all these tests then post back.
Thats my hardware stress test program for a new computer.

Luck................ :D

Cool thankyou, where can i get these programs? Just search google for them i suppose?

My temps are great nothing reads over 40c unless my cpu is being stressed then it'll get up to like 43-44c, I dont really know what i'm looking at in the way of voltages however.

I hope nothing is wrong with the hardware, this is my first build and i've allready had a rma on the heatsink/fan and an rma on the video card. :(

I just downloaded memtest... I need go get a floppy disk and basically create the program on that then I can run it from there? Sorry i'm really new with all this stuff so it's kinda confusing.

Right now it's running really slow... i'm running WOW, AIM and this website in internet explorer and it's runnign really slow. I havent wanted to overclock it yet because i want it to run right first.

serbiaNem said:
hmm, could be a bad psu, have any spares around?

I thought about that, and no I dont really have a spare I can try... the only thing I can think of is taking the one out of my buddies case trying it in mine and seeing how that works. That would be a huge pita however. Once i can get ahold of a floppy disk i'm gong to try this memtest then go from there and maybe try this prime if i can figure it out.

Will prime95 show if it's a bad psu? I cant imagine it would.

On the memtest page there is a bootable ISO image, just burn it to a cd and boot to it.

serbiaNem said:
hmm, could be a bad psu, have any spares around?

I doubt it. I'd bet money on that EpoX motherboard being bad, long before the Antec Power Supply. I'd also bet on screwy drivers or something else before hardware.

Out of curiosity, what kind of ram are you using? What timings do you have the ram set for?

Back