Computer Speakers VS Receiver and towers

thomasward00

Limp Gawd
I'm debating if I should go with a high end sound card and computer speakers OR just buy a lower end receiver with some Polk towers, I have optical out on my Mobo that I could just route to my receiver.

Thanks in advance.

It depends on your uses, budget, space, etc. In virtually every case, a receiver + speakers setup will outperform any PC speaker + sound card system. Go through the "Post your Speakers" thread for tons of ideas from the most basic to absolutely outrageous.

The receiver with towers will really improve the overall pc experience so if you can afford it I say go for it. You should see what I got surrounding my PC! lol

It depends on your uses, budget, space, etc. In virtually every case, a receiver + speakers setup will outperform any PC speaker + sound card system.
Couldnt have said it better myself.

OP if you don't have any major financial or space constraints then you already have your answer.

If you have the money, space, and interest to get tower speakers - do it.

Make sure you can actually place them far enough away from you and apart from each other.

lol

I really need to take a pic of my tower speaker "headphone sound" setup. Crazy but it works great.

I'm guessing you put them directly to your right and left, a foot or two away, then told the computer you were wearing headphones?

That sounds like it would be very interesting in smallish rooms, if you're not concerned about other listeners or listening positions...probably also want to be sure they're at roughly head level, but I think that's the case for most towers and chairs.

lol

I really need to take a pic of my tower speaker "headphone sound" setup. Crazy but it works great.
I prefer a pair of smallish Bose-type speakers duct taped to both sides of my head, but to each their own.

:p

i would recommend reciever and towers. i had the z-5500 and went to a reciever and bookshelves and really enjoyed the change.

+1 for receiver and speakers. I haven't owned computer speakers since altec lansing was the big dog.

Back