computer speakers & TV with NO OUTPUT.. possible?

Suprnova04

Limp Gawd
Ok guys.. I just bought my girlfriend a pretty decent pair of computer speakers.. and they're great for music and movies that we watch on her computer (we're college students, so we don't have the bills for a bigass TV and badass speakers).

Now what I am wondering, is if it is possible to connect the speakers--which to connect to her computer via a 3.5 mm headphone jack--to her very basic TV that surprisingly has RCA input connectors, but no RCA output connectors. I'm trying to figure out the connection that would work that undoubtedly includes an RF modulator, but I can't lay out the configuration in my head without the hardware in front of me. Hmm.. I'm thinking that perhaps it would need a VCR as well for the output connections.. but I'm not sure. Anyone have a solution? Thanks buys.. I appreciate the help :)

Dan

A VCR would be the easiest / cheapest way, I think. Plus a headphone to dual RCA converter cable. Just pick one up at Goodwill or something -- it doesn't even have to play tapes, just sit between the TV and the speakers.

I've thought this over in my head and I don't see why this won't work:

http://www.amazon.com/3-5Mm-Stereo-Splitter-Audio-Adapter/dp/B0009JFF7A/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_c

Plug the RCA output cables (from your DVD player or whatever devise you're using) into the female RCA end of that and plug the 3.5mm jack (from your speakers) into the female 3.5mm end of that and it should work. As long as you're speakers aren't passive (meaning that your speakers have a separate power source, ie you plug them into the wall) it should work.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Unless your tv has outputs of some kind (rca, headphone jack, toslink, etc) you aren't going to get any sound from it. You could try throwing a cable box, vcr, or digital converter box inbetween depending on your setup.

Back