Computer speakers or custom HT ?

Gaiden133

[H] Ninja
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
3,720
I currently have Klipsch Promedia 4.1's way back from 2001 that have served me really well. I also do have a pair of Sennheiser's HD595 so I'm good on recommendations for headphones.

A friend has a set of the Logitech's z-5500s and they're pretty nice and decent price for ~$200-300.

I would love to go with the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s if they weren't discontinued & reports of amp failings pretty rampant.

I am planning on a new computer build and want a nice set of speakers to go along with it (for reference: e6600/westy 37w3/x-fi platinum/possibly the microsoft hd-dvd player eventually)

So, I do want a nice set of speakers to replace these aging ProMedias, and I am torn of just opting with the easy route of buying a set of Logitech z-5500's or if the recommended route for better Sound Quality for near the price range of the z-5500's would be building a custom setup with HT speakers, sub, etc.

What are the pros & cons of each ? Also if I go with the latter route, will it have as many or more (such as connecting to PC, Wii, xbox360, dvd player, etc.) compared to the Z-5500's ?

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated for either camps.

Thanks.
 
I don't think that you can get a new HT setup as good as Z-5500 at the price of the Z-5500. You can always get something better if you pay more but at the price of Z-5500, you'll end up with a lower quality 5.1 speaker if you go with HT route. A new receiver alone can cost you half of the Z-5500's price, so with so little money left, I don't think that you can find something new that can match the Z-5500. Another option is to buy a HT receiver together with a pair of bookshelf speaker first and add more speakers later.
 
I think audio is a very often overlooked aspect of a computer build, especially considering how important it is to the experience. Your computer really only conveys information to you via two sources: the monitor and the speakers. Spending 2 grand on a computer, a grand on a monitor, and then a measly 200 bucks on the audio has always seemed extremely lopsided to me. Is the visual part of gaming/movies more important than the audio? Maybe, depends who you ask, but I'd definitely say it isn't five times more important, which is what that kind of lopsided $200/$1000 budget would indicate. Really the price differential is much much worse, considering the GPU and (for the most part) the memory and CPU/Mobo are also geared towards video quality. So really you're looking at 2000+ dollars towards video and 200 towards audio.

My current PC system is the opposite, I think I've got around $1500 in the 5.1 system and a lousy 300 dollar Chimei 22" LCD, but I'm looking to rectify that with a 32" or 37" LCD soon.
 
Something like the Onkyo 790 would be a good solution, not too over the top in cost yet great sound quality where it counts.

I would go that route...
 
If you can swing the cash, the home theatre route can get you better results. Because you can buy your own components, you can really get more quality. There are two downsides though:

1) Cost. This is the big one. A decent receiver alone is likely to run you $200, and then probably another $500 at least for some good surround speakers. Compare that to computer speakers and it is really pricey. It also only goes up from there.

2) Size. Barring things like Bose system, which I don't recommend for the money, HT speakers are likely to be larger (which is one of the reasons they sound better). You'll need to be able to accomodate that.

However, if you want to spend the money, it works great. My setup is all HT and pro components and it sounds awesome.

If you do it, though, make sure to set aside the money to do it right. I'd budget a minimum of $1000. With luck you can do it for less, but don't sell yourself short. Make sure you've got enough for a good receiver, 5 good satellite speakers, and a good sub. For $800 you should be able to swing a JBL Venue + Yamaha combo that should no nicely, but then there's stands, wire and so o to think about hence the $1000 budget.

You can perhaps look at less, but too much less and I'd say skip on the HT stuff and go high end computer speakers instead. They are good for the money, they just cap out pretty low.
 
Well like I said before, no new HT setup can beat the Z-5500 at the same price, you need to spend at least double the amount of money to get a proper HT setup. When you ask this kind of question, people always tell you to buy a HT setup because it is really worth it but the only problem is they never give you the money to spend on a HT setup :rolleyes: .
 
So true. $200 you would spend on the 500watt logitechs MIGHT buy you a receiver. Which is the heart of your sound system and without a good one your wasting your time. Considering these days alot of soundcards can compete with HT receviers for sound quality. You will usually get better sound from HT gear. Without a good whack of cash though you might aswell pass. You can buy junk HT gear aswell. Just becasue it is a receiver and speakers doesn't mean it's good set up and really doesn't mean it sounds good. Better off to save for a bit this way you have time to educate yourself on current gear-what to buy and what not to. OF course it;s your mony so it;s always your choice.;)
 
Sound cards don't compete with receivers for anything. Unless you're using headphones you're using both a soundcard and an amplifier. The only difference is that with PC speakers the amp is (almost always) built into the sub and with an HT its built into the receiver. So I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at with this:

Considering these days alot of soundcards can compete with HT receviers for sound quality.

Using a receiver doesn't replace the soundcard. It's like saying a DVD player can compete with an LCD for video quality, it doesn't really make any sense.
 
Spending 2 grand on a computer, a grand on a monitor, and then a measly 200 bucks on the audio has always seemed extremely lopsided to me. Is the visual part of gaming/movies more important than the audio?

Maybe, depends who you ask, but I'd definitely say it isn't five times more important, which is what that kind of lopsided $200/$1000 budget would indicate. Really the price differential is much much worse, considering the GPU and (for the most part) the memory and CPU/Mobo are also geared towards video quality. So really you're looking at 2000+ dollars towards video and 200 towards audio.

First off, thank you for responding with some great critique :)

Personally, from my experience, the visual aspect is definitely more defining for my gaming experience and from what i've heard from the Logitech Z-5500s, it's suitable for my needs and expectations.

Though I do believe that eventually I will delve into the large gains of setting up a complete HT setup compared to the regular speaker setup. But as of right now, more of my budget is set aside for the monitor/CPU due to the importance of the visual aspect to me just as how the importance of the audio is to you.

The main purpose I created this thread was to inquire the possibility of setting up a HT setup maybe reasonably within the price range of the z5500s. However, the responses in this thread has clarified that i'd need to allocate more money to setting that up and it seems like that will be my next upgrade :D


My current PC system is the opposite, I think I've got around $1500 in the 5.1 system and a lousy 300 dollar Chimei 22" LCD, but I'm looking to rectify that with a 32" or 37" LCD soon.


Nice, Kudos! :cool: Looks like we're opposites as I'll eventually go towards a kick-ass, superior HT setup in time!

--^
 
Well like I said before, no new HT setup can beat the Z-5500 at the same price, you need to spend at least double the amount of money to get a proper HT setup. When you ask this kind of question, people always tell you to buy a HT setup because it is really worth it but the only problem is they never give you the money to spend on a HT setup :rolleyes: .

I definitely agree. I learned something new everyday. Well, when the time comes, I'll definitely invest in a great HT setup, but as i only have so much for the audio equipment, the z5500s seem suitable at this point in time.
 
One major thing to consider when buying audio gear is that it never really gets outdated. Invest in things you will have for a long time: Peripherals, speakers, monitors, ect. Processors, ram, video cards, etc are all very expensive and need to be replaced every year or so to stay on top of the latest games. A nice monitor, receiver and speakers can last you for a LOT longer if you stick with them. I have had my 2001fp for more than 4 years and my speakers and receiver for 3. Other stuff is always changing, in fact my sig is way out of date now that I notice it.
 
go with what you can afford. I couldnt afford a HT so i went with the Z5500, then again people some where esle kept giving me links to stuff that was over my budget heh.

if you can afford a HT setup then go for it, if not then the Z5500.
 
although late

my suggestion would have been to start off with 2 channel and slowly add to it although it takes longer you will end up with a much nicer system in the end
 
The Z-5500 is more expensive than a lot of the Onkyo HTiB systems. The HTS-590 can be had for $160! You can get a HTS-790 for $50 less than the Z-5500's MSRP and have full 7.1 sound and the potential to upgrade it to more high end components in the future.
 
The Z-5500 is more expensive than a lot of the Onkyo HTiB systems. The HTS-590 can be had for $160! You can get a HTS-790 for $50 less than the Z-5500's MSRP and have full 7.1 sound and the potential to upgrade it to more high end components in the future.

QFT and that point has been driven home to many of the same folks posting here. They were given links and everything. It's that same old thing of; "I bought it so it must be the best". I like my rig but would LOVE to have Pinipeg523's LOL!

To the OP, HT all the way at whatever cost you can afford. For me it is not just Music but Games, Music and Sound effects and etc.....Ebay and Pawnshops might help as well:)
 
@Nicolaskl, I should have been a little more clear with my post. I am speaking of DAC quality. There are alot of soundcards out now that have better DAC's then alot of the Receivers out these days.
As for the Z-5500, they are the best bang for the buck. no question. HT is always the way to go but if you can't get the money and you want speakers you may just be better off going with the Z-5500's if you cannot wait...:D
 
Back
Top