Computer shuts off when on UPS power

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
I've got a Dell desktop that won't stay on when on UPS battery power. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the computer because I tried 2 different UPS units, different plugs, etc and it's the same thing both times. Could it be a bad PSU in the computer? Both UPS units are plenty strong enough for a low power desktop.

(I have to ask)

Are you plugged in the plugs which have a battery drawing or are indicated as UPS plugs?

Most of the time only 2-3 plugs on a normal UPS are connected to the battery.

Also, is the battery plugged in, inside the unit (probably would tell you somehow)

Edit: Just saw your post count... feel free to ignore my post lol.

Last edited:
Does it shut off immediately, or does it stay on for a minute or so? Does it go into shutdown or just switch off like someone unplugged it?

Sine wave UPS? I know I say this all the time, but with cheaper UPSs when they're on battery they output stepped waves, and it's possible your PSU doesn't like that.

(I have to ask)

Are you plugged in the plugs which have a battery drawing or are indicated as UPS plugs?

Most of the time only 2-3 plugs on a normal UPS are connected to the battery.

Also, is the battery plugged in, inside the unit (probably would tell you somehow)

Edit: Just saw your post count... feel free to ignore my post lol.
yes, it's plugged into the battery ports :p

Sine wave UPS? I know I say this all the time, but with cheaper UPSs when they're on battery they output stepped waves, and it's possible your PSU doesn't like that.
yeah that's what I was thinking, but wondering if anyone else had run into this
this is at the office and they have an identical dell that works fine with the UPS

Is the UPS of sufficient power? I have seen this when I was using too much power and a low power UPS.

yes, 585 VA and it's just an old Dell Pentium 4

Just? Some of those P4s had TDPs nearly as high as a modern quad-core. ;) (I recall 85W TDPs on some Prescotts, and LGA 1156 quad-cores today go to around 95W.)

Back