computer shuts off when bumped?

Kaos_Drem

Gawd
Ok one of my friend's computers if it gets bumped even the slightest it shuts off, but it doesn't do a normal shut off it shuts off and the power light in the front of the case blinks on and off. I have no idea what is going wrong and i would really like some input.

The build is as follows:

MSI K8t mobo
radeon 9800pro
3000+ 754
WD 120GB
power supply is what came with the case. I really don't know if that could be the cause but i don't see why it would be.

Measures i have already taken:

Made sure all screws were tight on the motherboard to prevent a short. Reseated the videocard for safety, Re wired the power supply leads for the computer, i have done everything i can think of to try to help him with the exception of trying a new powersupply because he isn't exactly rich and can't really afford a new powersupply, also wouldn't make sense to try that if it isn't for sure the cause of the problem.

Anyway any help that someone can give would be very appreciated.

Unfortunately, it really sounds as if that is a power supply problem. I have seen that at least twice before and it has turned out to be the psu each time. If he can't buy a new one, just try swapping one out tremporarily it at all possible.

Also make sure all the plugs on the mobo for the front panel are plugged in right. If the light is flashing on the front of the case, it generally means that the system is in a forced sleep state, not powered off. If it happens again, try moving the mouse or hitting the keys to see if it wakes off.

Also in the BIOS, make sure that the "Power Button Action" setting under Power Management is set to 'Power Off', not 'Sleep', if that is the case.

Otherwise, if they fail, then check out the PSU, that would be the next step.

some lose cables going to the mobo? maybe the powersupply has some wierd internal problem, somethings lose. here, if its ur friend (= u have a pc also, so u got 2 pc's to work with) open up the side of his case, and the same with urs, plug in all the basics to ur power supply( no fans or useless crap like that needed), boot it up, kick it, if it dies, no the powersupply. if its dont work, have him buy a new powersupply.

update: also, if u dont wanna lug ur pc all the way over there, just remove ur power supply and bring it over. uve already put in so much work, im sure ur capable of that. also, if it still has that problem, i thought of this, end all diagnostic thing. take very part out, lay them on something, plug it all togehter, boot up by connecting the 2 pins with a paperclip/screwdriver/whatever. once it boots, go ahead and grab each item, and shake it a little. thattle tell u what parts jacked up. if it works fine still, then its the front wiring (plower switch ect). there u go, follow that, and ull find the problem, but it will take some work.

Back