Computer Shuts off. Its Really Hot! Why?

phiquach

Limp Gawd
i don't know why but my motherboard is hot.

OMG.jpg

my specs

specs.jpg

i don't think its normal for the motherboard to be that hot lol.

any ideas?

the computer is not overclocked or anything.

Make sure the motherboard chipset heatsink is firmly attached and the fan (if there is one) is spinning.

and reseat the heatsink and it was on fine. reapplied artic silver.

i left the side of the case wide open and have a fan blowing at it and its dropped to 85 degrees....

do you guys think the PSU could be messed up? because on the top of the case where the PSU is, it is really hot. I have an Antec Solo case

The power supply isn't going to have any effect on motherboard temperature. I see two options here:
1. Get a better NB/SB heatsink
2. Zip tie/ bolt a fan to the heatsink.

its a brand new motherboard. should i just return it or send it in for RMA?

Check for a BIOS update - it could be a temperature sensor bug. :) You may also want to try another program just make sure it's not an Everest thing. If all of that checks out, you may have a dud on your hand - time for RMA.

Before asking for an RMA you -could- try a different PSU if you have one handy. My DFI Lanparty used to have a ridiculous PWM temperature until I found out my Antec power supply was faulty. Replaced it and the temperature reading from the PWM dropped by 30C!

It really depends on what the "Motherboard" temperature is referencing; many assume it means the NB/SB temperature, which is generally a safe assumption, but it's entirely possible that it's actually the PWM.

ok so i changed the PSU and still runs hot... i think its an RMA.

I even left the case open and put a fan there and it still didn't drop.

take off your NB heatsink, apply AS5, slap a 40mm fan on it.. you should be good to go.

Did you update your bios? Is the heatsink too hot to touch? If the heatsink is absorbing some of the heat, it would burn your finger to touch it. I had a BFG Nforce 4 mobo a few years back and I had to return a few because the temperature sensor would read in the negative temps.

92*C inside a computer case.... I doubt it, that's 8*C away from boiling water...

Not so.

The PWM is the hottest component on the board. During the summer, under a heavy load, my S939/Opteron170 PWM would reach 106*C. Default alarm was 80*C. Under Uguru, I maxed it out to 100*C and muted the alarm/siren to preserve what's left of my sanity.The part is rated to ~130*C if I remember.

Fall project was to reinstall in a different case and better cable clutter management. I'll know next summer if it was worth it.

Back